Thread: Need some advice

Question Need some advice

This might take a while to read so if you're in a hurry, better come back later when you have more time.

History:
    16 ft. Lund Pro Sport with 50 hp, four stroke Yamaha ran perfect the few times I used it last summer. Had it winterized at Shop A and had them install an in-line fuel/water filter.

Earlier this season:
    Could start outboard but it would cut out and die at about 1200 rpm with just the throttle. Would also cut out even earlier whey engaging forward gear.
    If throttle was moved to the "reverse" setting, out board would not cut out and die. Would also run strong in reverse gear.

Called around for an appointment to repair outboard since I had lost the 2006 receipt for Shop A. Shop B could not get me in until first week of July (I'm calling on June 5) but told me it sounded like an air leak and what to look for if I tried to fix it myself. Was most grateful to Shop B for the information.

Got an appointment with Shop C who found dirty plugs and carburator. Also found some water in the fuel. Engine ran fine in the shop, using the shop's fuel supply. Shop C advised me to replace fuel or at least get the water out.

Current condition:
    My best guess is I had about 4 gallons in the on-board tank (if the gauge was correct) when all this started this season. Thought I had a full tank going into last winter but cannot prove it.

I have been able to siphon 4.5 gallons through the fuel/water separator using the primer bulb. During that time I discovered a very small crack in the primer bulb.

I replaced the primer bulb this afternoon, tested the fuel lines and bulb for air leaks and found none. Now I can't get fuel to flow from the tank to the filter. I checked the tank vent and it is open. I walk away from the boat to see if it needs more time to move the fuel and still the filter bowel is empty.

What would keep the fuel from flowing. I almost have blisters from squeezing the brand new bulb so many times.

Thanks for your ideas and/or suggestions.
    Dobber
    Last edited by jsdobson; 06-23-2007 at 17:26. Reason: Cleaned up the grammar

I am no mechanic but you might check the anti-siphon valve.

Also check and see if you have the bulb installed in the right direction. Some times its the simple things.

Thank you Freeze.

Your ideas checked out and a few hours after trying to prime the engine, the fuel bowel was full of fuel and the engine started effortlessly and did not cut out. Go figure.

Dobber