Thread: extreme shallow engine stalling

Default extreme shallow engine stalling

I have a 2007 extreme shallow with a yamaha 160. I bought the bought used a few weeks ago. i put about 10 hours on the boat without any problems. I now have 111 hours on the motor. The 4th of July weekend I put the boat into the copper river for dipnetting. We did well on the dipping part of the trip. I tied up to the rocks or put the boat on shore a few times and when I started up the boat the engine stalled out a couple of times. Then when I made my run back up the river the rpms would drop down a thousand or 2 rpms then go right back up to the 10,000 rpm. When I got back to the boat landing the engine stalled out again. We floated the boat onto the trailer and I started the motor 1 more time and got the boat all the way up on the trailer. The spark plugs are old but not are carbon up. I have looked for a fuel filter and could not locate a filter. I am thinking the filter is in the gas tank. The other possible problems I thought of is fuel injectors or some type of relay problems. Is there a wiring harness hookup where a diagnostic tool can be attached to troubleshoot this problem. Any ideas or help on solving this problem would be appreciated.

Chase down the fuel system from the tank to motor. Put the boat in a position that will let you move the fuel into one corner and then siphon some fuel out into a clear container .Checking for water or other things.

The fuel pump and filter are inside that big bump out in your tank at the back. I know they have a Rpm limiter and then automatic shut down for overheating also, if the screen inside that jet plugs up it will overheat and shut down....used to have that motor and did the same thing in the copper, all I can say is I hope you got a sweeeeeet deal on that boat

thanks guys for the insight and help on this problem. I finally finished processing my fish so now I have some time to look into this fuel problem. will keep you posted.

well I pulled the fuel pump and looked into the fuel tank and did not see any water in the tank. I changed the spark plugs and took the boat out and the motor started right up and did not stall out. simple fix

Water in the fuel?

Air ingestion within the fule lines will do the same thing. Air can get sucked in without leaking fuel. Maybe a good time to check all the connections. Air would cause you to lose prime and then stall once the remaining fuel in the engine is out before it can reprime. It will also cause the surges. Start simple with checking the fuel lines and connections.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

I will certainly look into the fuel lines and check the connections I only had the boat out 1 time since changing the plugs, the motor started a lot easier and quicker. With the old plugs in the motor, the motor was cold blooded and hard to start. I need to get the boat in the water more often and run the heck out of the darn thing.
    Thanks for the input.
    Dave