Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valdez fishing

Default Valdez fishing

Anyone know how the fishing in valdez is going? Was planning to go this week but haven't heard if the pinks were in. Figured the kids could have some fun catching them.

Cost recovery for the hatchery is starting to pick up, but they aren't slammed in to the port. Haven't heard how the sporties are doing. Seiners are open tomorrow, but only south of a line from tongue pt to pt lowe

My niece and nephew will be here August 18th - 21st, will that be too late for them to catch pinks off Allison?

Steve, that should not be too late for pinks though they may be getting the first signs of mushy at that point. If they are lucky that might even be able to pick up a silver (though a bit early for those from Allison point)

This weekend is the Kids Derby and I have seen some pinks at the cleaning table. The seiners have the Narrows blocked off. Even the ferry had to stop the other day and travel to the other side to get through. I almost hit a net today as a seiner pulled in front of me and I ended backing out of a set as they had it blocked off again. Silvers are at Bligh Reef but again, the seiners are hitting them hard too. Do not expect any respect from the seiners as they are only looking at the $$$. It is unruly out there.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Pinks were in thick on Allison Point a few days ago. We spent a couple days in Valdez as part of my parent's Alaska vacation. I figured a trip to the point was the quickest, easiest, least complex way to get my folks on their first salmon. As I expected, they and most everybody else did well tossing pixies at high tide. Color didn't seem to matter.

Thanks for the updates everyone, I'm hoping to get the kids on the pinks, after only every catching hatchery trout, they should be real excited.

Pinks are hammering the arm right now. We caught 100k lbs before the processor cut us off this afternoon. Most guys are on limits or having to stand down every couple days because the plants are at capacity. There have been roughly 35 million pinks caught between cost recovery and common property. The run just keeps coming, and will be for a bit, I think.

Also, I caught a couple if mackerel at black point the other day. Definitely didn't expect to see them on deck. I'd post a pic, but this phone won't let me do it where we're at

And Dave, some of us dirty seiners are quite civil, if you get to know us. Shoot me a pm and I'll let you know where we're at. Always good to meet forum members on the water

Actually, for the first time ever, I had a seiner come over to my boat the other day. I'm like what the heck. They had caught a red and wanted to give it to the us. So a drive by, an extended net and we had a red. I guess they aren't all bad. :-)

By the way.... silvers are being caught at the Cliff Mine near Gold Creek.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

How early can you fish for silvers from shore in Valdez? I'm headed over there on August 15th for a getaway weekend with my wife. Just wondering if I should take my pole or not.

Any new news on how the silvers are coming in?

I was down there 3 weeks ago and they were already catching silvers in the arm. Fished a little farther out this past weekend and they were thick and hungry. They seem to be showing up early and hopefully shaping up to be a good year.

Thanks! I will be out in Fidalgo this week and was hoping to hear that they were in.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone View Post
    How early can you fish for silvers from shore in Valdez? I'm headed over there on August 15th for a getaway weekend with my wife. Just wondering if I should take my pole or not.
    I'd guess this year you could start picking them up with regularity from shore in a week or two. Everything sounds early for them this year. We're going for five days at the start of September based on average run timing but I'm worried we're going to be late.

Any new reports for Silvers in Valdez? Are the Pinks spent, or could the kids still catch 'em?

A couple of silvers have been caught at the ferry dock, haven't heard of any from Allison point yet, they seem to be outside of the bay for the most part, more of them from the gold mine out. Plenty of pinks, the bag limit has just been raised to 12 per day, 24 in possession
    Amanda Rose
    2010 Kingfisher 3025
    Twin Yamaha 250's

Silvers are in thick a bit further out, I'm not sure what's going on in town though. Still lots of pinks and their quality is still pretty good (for a pink anyway).

Thanks for the updates, it's a long drive from Fairbanks with kids, so I want them to catch fish as a reward. Hoping the Pinks are still biting on the 15th.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Springer View Post
    Thanks for the updates, it's a long drive from Fairbanks with kids, so I want them to catch fish as a reward. Hoping the Pinks are still biting on the 15th.

Steve, I was out at Sawmill Bay this past weekend and we were picking up pinks that were bright and lots of spunk. W were also picking them up at jacks bay and just out from entrance point.
    What are ya...a fisherman...or a catcherman?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast