Thread: Whittier

Default Whittier

Hello,
    Never been to Whittier. Taking the family in our boat, wanting to troll or jig for kings and silvers. What would be a good area without going too far out?? Would appreciate some tips for our first family trip to Whittier. Just an area to start, then I can search from there
    Really want them to catch fish!! I just don't want to fight the crowd at the dock area fishing. Just for boat info, I have a 20ft alumaweld.

Well you are in for a eye opening treat !! Prepare to open your wallet when you get to the ransom booth at the tunnel entrance and you won't close it till you clear the harbor !! I think your a bit early for silvers. For the almost sure thing i think i'd go looking for rockfish or maybe run up into shotgun cove and look for some early humpies. Be careful with the weather with that small boat. Looking for bait balls on the fish finder might find ya some kings and or silvers to jig on. When you get the shrimping addiction please come and see me.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

got into a good amount of silvers around south end of chenega island. troll through small bays.

Silvers and Kings showing in the Nellie Juan area early last week.

both areas are a bit of a stretch for a first time boater on the sound don't ya think ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thanks for the replies! I've been boating for a long time just can't afford a bigger one yet. Headed to homer this weekend, good tides. I've fished around fox island in Seward and had some fun around caines head also, just looking forward to learning Whittier. Heard some boaters recommending it. I know the silvers probably won't show up till August in the bay or end maybe the end of July, which is when I'm planning on heading there. Ocean temp is warmer again, fish moving early. Getting the dip netting done and fishing the Kenai first😄 I will check out shotgun, thanks! Just looking for places to start. I definitely will be contacting you Steve about shrimp pots, that the next adventure. Both my wife and I really want get out there early next year!!

Whittier is one of the most beautiful place in the world once you get off of the dock. I only go there for shrimp anymore and would prefer to drive to Seward / Homer any day than go to the tunnel$ / dock$ / parking$ and pay all the fees. I think the fishing is much better in Seward or Homer any day and the people far more nicer.

You will have to go out much farther than you would like in a 20' to get in any kings/ silvers out of Whittier right now. Watch the weather it can turn and go south on you out there real fast. I have left on glass and come back in 4's and 5's and wondered where that came from I have a larger boat so its not such a worry but in a smaller boat that is a diff story. Either way take the family out and have some fun.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

You can try for silvers close in at Pigot Point if you dont want to run so far. Depending on the year, you can get them right out of the harbor in front of the ferry dock a bit later in the year. It seems like it might be a good year for silvers into whittier this year, which will be a welcome change.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Thank you guys!! I'm not looking forward to the fee's. I'll make it a trip for silvers later in the year then. I will check Pigot later in middle of August maybe. Either way, just looking forward to the scenery and trying to catch something

There are silvers and kings as close as Pigot. We caught both there yesterday. If that doesn't work, try Ester and north Culrose. Don't run over a gillnet. Good fishing.

I do know that this is a bit far but was out next to smith island this past weekend and there where salmon jumping all over. Didn't try for any but almost caught a few on my halibut setups. When we returned back to the docks there where people right next to the load/retrieve ramp catching kings from the shore. They had quite a few of them. Leads me to believe you should be able to catch fish fairly close by.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

We fished down by the Needle yesterday and the silvers were chasing our halibut gear all day. Easy limits.