Thread: Denali highway trail

Default Denali highway trail

A buddy and I are wanting to do some grayling fishing on the Denali highway in a week and a half. We only have a couple days up there and I don't want to waste any time if I can avoid it. I have heard about a creek named windy creek that is right by the Susitna bridge. I know it is in the unit 13 CCUA and not able to be traveled on by ATV for hunting but I can ATV this road if I am just fishing correct? Can I get a machine on the road? (I.e. Is there any gates or anything that would prevent this?) What about a side by side? How long is the road? (I.e. Does the road go all the way back to the lake at the end?) Any tips guys?

Any other streams that anybody would recommend in the area?

Yes, you can ride your ATV or side by side up the Windy Cr and Valdez Cr road. They are mining roads so they're plenty wide. Shouldn't be any gates. Can't say if it goes to the lake. Shoot Claude an email and I'll bet he will steer you to some good fishing spots in that area: http://alpinecreeklodge.com/

Yes you can take AYV's into this area, if not hunting. I have not been on this trail, but there are other trails that can also yield grayling. Not sure how far you want to go, but there is the Swede lake trail that will take one back to the Gulkana(sp) and on to Dicky lake. Then there is the trail at the top on MacLearn(sp) pass that goes back to the Osar(sp) lakes and there is good fishing back there.
    Have fun and be safe. You also might check in the Alpine Creek lodge and talk with the good crew there for better information.

Any water crossings?

When I built that road it went to the Lake. Built that road for City Service Mines and Minerals and U. S. Steel.

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    Yes, you can ride your ATV or side by side up the Windy Cr and Valdez Cr road. They are mining roads so they're plenty wide. Shouldn't be any gates. Can't say if it goes to the lake. Shoot Claude an email and I'll bet he will steer you to some good fishing spots in that area: http://alpinecreeklodge.com/

Small creeks. Back in the early 70's people would drive a Buick Station Wagon back there. I would shoot caribou back there and use a wheel barrow to haul the meat out.

Quote Originally Posted by MT2AK View Post
    Any water crossings?

You can drive you car or truck back to the lake. When I married in 76' we would take my wife's buick skylark back there.

Any stream up there should have grayling in it. I second checking in with the great people at ACL for fishing advice.

Just like any other fishing the farther or harder the access usually leads to bigger or better fishing!

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Just got back from a couple trips up both windy and valdez creek off the denali...LOTS of grayling...some decent size, (16-17 inch)...active mining and prospecting going on...probably any creek and lake up in that area will hold grayling...small mepps spinners in white seemed to work best or dry fly's...used both and caught plenty

just go ...........the place is a reclaimed mine ....get u some while u can...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Is it hard to discern the trail? I am heading up there this weekend only for a couple of days, with my 1500 dodge ram... should be doable then?

Yep, doable with your Ram. Valdez mine road might be in bad shape, its not maintained. It's not an active mine.