Thread: Rex Trail ?

Default Rex Trail ?

Has anyone been out the Rex trail in the last few weeks? I was thinking of taking a ride out there and was wondering how muddy it might be and if the fish creek fire was close by. Let me know - thanks.

stay home.... all smoke ....
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Went down last week only went about 5 miles back it was my first time on the trail. So for what my advise may be it was what sounds like the typical Rex trail swamp and mud hole one after another. Saw two sets of tracks someone running an Argo and another with some outlaw mud tires. Heading down there again this morning my guess is with the rain it will only get worse until it freezes. Argo only went about 5 miles back and his tracks turned around so whatever that may mean idk but enjoy.

Thanks. Will all the recent rain and the forecast for more of the same
    I'm sure it will be a mess - ugh.

update i went down there monday its getting worse every day saw some other people out there this time so traffic will definitly make it worse. Guys i talked to out there said once the season starts the ruts and conditions will obviously get much worse. On the bright side only had to winch out once since i got a little over confident and greedy. also bagged two grouse on the way out. good luck

With the rains this year, getting across the rivers may be impossible with an Argo, UTV or ATV. We're not going to chance it this year.

Thanks for the updates/reports. On a typical year, is the Totatlanika (1st crossing) reasonably easy to cross with an ATV? I'm assuming if the stream crossings are not doable then this side of the creeks will be even more congested with camps/hunters. Not feeling very excited about the Rex...

Just got an update from a friend hunting up there. Said the first river is impossible to cross. He watched a track rig attempt to and ended up way down stream. Almost flipped in in the process too. He said all the mud holes were the worst he's ever seen. Guess a month of straight rain did a number on that trial again.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

What kind of track rig was it? Must have been an argo, yeah?

Nope. It was a full size nodwell from what I heard.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Have lived in Fairbanks, Anderson, Valdez and now Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    Thanks for the updates/reports. On a typical year, is the Totatlanika (1st crossing) reasonably easy to cross with an ATV? I'm assuming if the stream crossings are not doable then this side of the creeks will be even more congested with camps/hunters. Not feeling very excited about the Rex...
    No, the first river is usually deeper than the second river, especially if you cross right at the main trail crossing. This year at the main trail crossing we had 2" of water running in one side of the cap and out the other side of our RN110 Nodwell. You can go upstream and usually find a place to cross.

No, I believe it was a Thiokol. They had their up river door window open and water came in it.

2015 was a little strange for trail conditions on the Rex or Gold King trail this year. We went in around the 10th with a Nodwell RN110, three people and a four wheeler in the back. We were headed for our normal camp at Fish Creek, about five miles past the second river.

The first place of interest is always getting around the end of Seven Mile Lake. This wasn't a worry this year. Some years I've had mud in the doors. There was one Honda four wheeler sitting there - I assumed it wasn't running because no one was around.

There wasn't a lot of deep mud this year. By deep I mean over my tracks, but there was a lot of steady mud, hole after hole. We did find some deep water holes, but they had solid bottoms in them. Actually saw very little traffic. One group of Argos was just a little past the new power line. They had give up on the mud and made camp there. The surprising thing was when we got to the first river crossing there was absolutely no one camped there and then after crossing the river there was no on on the other side camped either.

The river was deep at where the trail hits the river. When you bail off of the bank, it was a little over four feet deep because I had about 2" coming in one side of the cab and going out the other side. It wasn't a problem, just interesting. You always wonder if it's going to keep getting deeper??? It seems that I saw some four wheeler track on the other side, but they would have had to gone up river to cross. Only saw one side by side on the other side and he was being towed by a Hagland through the mud. The main problem with the second river for Nods is the far side where the river has cut some new channels. No deep water, just trying to get a Nod around driftwood trees and dirt banks - Nods aren't known for sharp turns.

There's one burn area that's always a pain. The rains washed out the main trail a couple of years ago. You can't take a Nod down the wash without strong odds of slipping a track. The wash was dry this year and the smaller rigs were going through it without a problem. The larger rigs have to go up on the left / north bank through a burn area. The only problem with it is at the end of it are a couple of large stumps that you need to back up and work your way around.

At the Horse Shoe Ponds there were several tent and a couple of Muskegs. I don't know if they had gotten anything.

Stopped at the 2nd river cabin. A Griz had been inside of it again. Someone has hauled my red picnic table across the road to the camp area there. It looks like I should build a new outhouse, but I seldom stay there anymore. Might have spent the night there before going on, but the Griz sure made a mess inside.

The 2nd river wasn't any problem, no one camped on either side.

After you get past the 2nd river, through the fire break, and across the second field, is the spot I don't like. There's a creek running on the far side that always gives me a problem, never been stuck in it, but it always worries me. This year I tried crossing it between the old and new trail. I went into it and as we came up the other side, we quit moving. The tracks were just spinning with the nose pointed in the air. It eventually grabbed and we climbed out of it.

Going from there to Fish Creek is never any trouble other than it's up hill in a lot of constant uphill mud holes. If you pay attention to GPS, you gain more elevation than you think you do. Usually have to let Nod cool off a few times. It's never a problem when you leave because you're headed down hill.

Got back to Fish Creek and set up camp. It was nice for a day or two, then rained hard for three days so we sat under a tarp with a nice fire going. Right in front of the camp on the main trail, you can see evidence of water running down the trail there, but this is the first year I've actually seen it running while we were there. Other than the bull we shot out in the trail going throudh the field right before camp, it was a nice quiet hunting trip. A Nod 240 came through, two Bombardier Muskegs, and a Hagland towing the side by side. By reading the trail, there was the Thiokol, one or two Haglands and I think a Nodwell 60 in further than us. No four wheelers or Argos came in that far under there own power that I know of.

A couple of hunters were dropped off up at the air strip about a mile further in from Fish Creek. Never heard any shots so I'll assume they didn't get anything. The day before we were leaving, we heard a couple of shots from down by the field at the 2nd river. When we went out thee was a father and son camped in the fire break, the shots we had heard was them shooting a black bear. I think they had a four wheeler and Muskeg.

On the way out I don't think we saw anyone except a new group at the Horse Shoe Ponds. They had a Muskeg, an Argo and a four wheeler. They had just gotten there I believe. There still wasn't anyone camped there. We had a couple of sandwiches and went on our way. It was a long trip out, we got to the highway in time to get a steak at Clear Sky.

Another successful hunt - didn't get stuck, didn't break down, and we got a moose.