Thread: Lead Sled: how much weight in it?

Default Lead Sled: how much weight in it?

I just bought a Caldwell lead sled, and am wondering how much weight I should put in it. It has no springs to absorb recoil, if any of them do, and I don't want so much weight in it that the gun stock will have to absorb "all" of the recoil. I'm shooting a 416 Rem mag and I have shot as much as a box of ammo at a time with no lead sled, but it does kind of wear a guy down. Ya think 15 lbs should help enough? Is 25 lbs too much? thanks. j

The least amount that will let you be stable and not become flinchy, I cracked a stock using a lead sled with too much weight. Light-weight mountain rifles are the worst off since they were designed to move with the body of the shooter. I try to stick with no more than 150% of the original rifle weight.
    So an 8 pound rifle mean 12 pounds of sandbags on the sled. 25 pounds is way too much. If recoil is a big problem get a rifle with less recoil. The older I get the less I like heavy kickers.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Pilot: thanks for the info. i'll keep the weight down. the sled came w/ a 50 lb weight, and i figured that was a tad heavy. getting a rifle w/ less kick is not an option; i just deal w/ it.

Here is what I did to a 30-06 chambered mountain rifle with my lead sled.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nasty! How much weight did you have on the sled?

I've seen 2 stocks break in a lead sled with weight in it. The energy has to go some where
    Henry Bowman for President

I bought one of those contraptions when it was on sale at Sportsman's. I thought it would help the grand kid's with the center fire rifles. I tried it with my Bansner's stocked .338 Win. Mag. and my 250 grain loads. I like it. I have not tried it with any bags as I was aware of the cracked stock possibility. I think a properly bedded recoil lug will help with that. I will probably limit my self to a 5 lb. bag.

yes, i think the ticket is to keep the weight low, and/or see how to hook it to something spring loaded to take some of the snap out of the recoil. at the least, it should be a nice rest. that said, you then need to shoot in hunting mode to fine tune, sans any crutches.

When I was doing load development for my 400 Whelen, I thought a Lead Sled would be great for eliminating recoil fatigue. I used 25 pounds and it worked great. Until it sheared the rings off the bases and destroyed the scope. Mine is for sale cheap with the 25 pound dumbbell weight to go with it. I'll go back to shorter sessions with the big guns and no Lead Sled.

Another horror story. Definitely keeping the weight low. thanks. j

I just use mine without any weight...the danged thing weighs enough by itself to absorb recoil. I think folks have too great an expectation that the rest needs to be rock solid...that's how things end up getting broken. Just let the sled absorb the sharpness of recoil to sight in the "potential capability" of the rifle.... once the rifle is dialed in then get into hunt positions without the sled.

Use mine for a short barreled 50 Alaskan and a long barreled .338 Win Mag...... no weight added.
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

Just use a rectangular leather bag filled with heavy sand between your shoulder and the rifle stock.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Just use a rectangular leather bag filled with heavy sand between your shoulder and the rifle stock.
    Happen to have a link to what your referring to? Or which brand you prefer?
    I think about hunting when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day. And I think about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm doing it. ~credit to Carl Yastrzemski~

Big Gym Sock filled with sand or small lead shot also works and the cost is minimal. Use a plastic bag inside so the sand does not get wet on a rainy range day.
    Regular old BB gun BBs also make a nice bag filler and they are lighter than lead shot.

My wife made me one from the old end of a blue-jean trouser leg. She just ran both ends across her sewing machine and I have a 6 inch by 8 inch pouch filled with BBs. It is about an inch thick

I have a lead sled but I never put anything in it. The sled itself is heavy enough as it is IMO.