View Poll Results: Should triploid rainbows be considered for WR status?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 5.56%
  • No

9 50.00%
  • Yes...but in a separate category for triploid rainbows

8 44.44%

Thread: Should triploid rainbows be considered for WR?

Default Should triploid rainbows be considered for WR?

Personal issue of mine I am attempting to collect stats for. Quick background...many lakes are currently be stocked with genetically manipulated rainbow trout. They are triploids....in the egg stage they are treated, generally with heat but there are other ways, so that they end up with 3 sets of chromosomes instead of the natural 2 sets. This gives them the advantage of never developing gonads thus allowing everything they eat to be put on as flesh....they waste no energy in reproduction which normally takes well over half of the energy ingested by natural rainbows. Thus they pack on weight in an extremely fast, very unnatural manner giving rise to their enormous girths with small heads and tails. I personal feel it is an affront to the historical and current allure of rainbow trout to let this manipulated fish to be considered for traditional rainbow records.....if they want, let the IGFA develop a separate category for them.....much as has been done with tiger musky. Please vote.
    Thanks........Brian

PS: A new WR for rainbows was recently submitted at over 43lbs which is a triploid from a Lake Diffenbacher in Saskatchewan

I guess I am biased but I like fishing for rainbows and steelheads. They are always a great fun to catch. Yet, I think these hybrids or alterations to fish always start out as holding great promise but later end up causing trouble in the wild fish population in the form of some sort of illness or disease. Another thought is that these fish might be more competitive for food sources. A friend of mine calls them frakenfish.

if dolly varden and arctic char are a seperate species triploids and rainbows should be at any rate the IFGA records all mean pretty much nothing now a days I mean the halibut state record is definately bigger than the IFGA world record right?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

AKPM - I think you are referring to IGFA....they have different standards and rules for WR status. Check them out on their web site. Fish that qualify for state records would not necessarily be eligible for an IGFA listing.

Gus is right AKPM.....there are many state records for fish which are bigger than the IGFA recognized fish. The IGFA puts a whole list of qualifications which are necessary to meet.....it is done so there is a level playing field for everyone. The kicker for our halibut is that any fish shot boatside is not eligible...reason being is that you could shoot a fish at distance well before it was played out, therefore any halibut for consideration cannot be shot. There are other things like no one helping with the rod....not even supposed to touch the rod......requirements for terminal gear too.....and leaders.

Brian

Well clearly theres a good reason the halibut record for the state is bigger than the "world record"

At any rate a 56 pound wild rainbow has been caught before that puts that freakazoid to shame

So should whitetail that are basically farmed (fed like pigs) count as records?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

That would be an appropriate question for the hunting forum.