Thread: Ship Creek Dollies and Trout

Default Ship Creek Dollies and Trout

I have been trying to catch dollies and/or trout at Ship Creek and haven't been successful. I can see the fish so I know they are there. It seems to me that they hug the bottom and so I need some heavy weight and a very short leader, maybe a few inches so that I can put something in front of their face. Any suggestions for what to use to catch dollies there

Size 4 beads

Quote Originally Posted by rlfereba View Post
    I have been trying to catch dollies and/or trout at Ship Creek and haven't been successful. I can see the fish so I know they are there. It seems to me that they hug the bottom and so I need some heavy weight and a very short leader, maybe a few inches so that I can put something in front of their face. Any suggestions for what to use to catch dollies there
    Yes, you need to get down where the fish are. With the king run about over, I'd be fishing a 10mm bead, weighted with the appropriate split shot (at least a foot from the hook. You pin the bead to the line no more than 2" above the hook, using a piece of toothpick. Pretty simple set up. If you want, you can rig a "strike indicator" (I like the "Thing-a-ma-bob"); just like fishing for panfish with a bobber. You want about 1 1/2 times the water depth, between strike indicator and splitshot. You MUST be bouncing on the bottom.