Thread: How did everyone fare this year (so far for those who hunt in areas still open)

Default How did everyone fare this year (so far for those who hunt in areas still open)

Just seeing how everyone is doing so far this year on baiting. I know my freezer is slowly filling up and my family is very happy to eat bear 4-5x a week.

So far

doubled 3 weeks ago (could have trippled) 2 blackies one average one a little on the smaller side with a exceptional hide. Also had a buddy drop off 300+ lbs of grizz meat (and yes we eat that too and it's terrific if you get them when they are NOT on the salmon).

Had a few very respectable bears come through the stations one was estimated mid to high 6s possibly low 7ft range (see photo) and another low 6ft bear both were not harvested.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Was my first year bear baiting down on the peninsula or baiting period. Lots of time and hard work was put into it and I believe it has paid off greatly.

Got a nice brownie that squared out to 9'1" a few days before the season closed and have a bear that is even bigger coming in on camera, too bad he showed up late for the party. Have several blackies none of which are as big as yours but will only get bigger by next year!

Hard part for me was judging bears as the ground around my barrel isn't very level.

For reference. My brownie at the top of his hump was just barely as tall the barrel. This other tank is a bit taller.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436271227.230012.jpg

Chains for next year I believe, or at least straps run through the barrel.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436271392.559418.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436271437.998500.jpg

I run chains on all barrels. only way to go (or cable but then you risk having to cut cable to get it out of a tree if a bear binds it hard enough)

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Had ac ouple bears come in. Mostly small and sipping milk from the breasts in preadtor controls. A few Easy targetrs one day but nit much more. Days were hot with wildefires and fortunate to et bak to town threw convoys, and save d meats. Maybe next year will be a better season.

Cheers to all that dit better!

sorry to hear you had little guys Wet... there is always next year when they grow a bit.....

What's with the name change?

No pictures of the dead bears?

Here's mine...

[URL=http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/nicholasmuche/media/11269096_10205804685188533_1884630215645037617_n.j pg.html][/URL

Had a station soak out in the Sutton area for over 7 weeks plus scent wicks with home made anise oil and anise extract (super easy and cheap too).

I had exactly NOTHING hit the bait. Got so disappointed I took it down a week before the season ended.

That sucked!

Quote Originally Posted by Generok View Post
    Had a station soak out in the Sutton area for over 7 weeks plus scent wicks with home made anise oil and anise extract (super easy and cheap too).

I had exactly NOTHING hit the bait. Got so disappointed I took it down a week before the season ended.

That sucked!
    Last week, we went in... and checked the baits. Highlight of the weekend was that we found a couple frogs. We saw a few spruce hens and chicks. Not much for bears. Probably going to let the baits go stale for the next couple of months.. and clean them up after the first snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Generok View Post

That sucked!
    We pulled baits a week early too Generok... bummer! Hey, I was wondering if you'd share how you make your anise oil and anise extract?

Baited from early May until season ended July 1. Had a 6-7' Griz on the bait and one smaller black bear that walked in on me rebaiting. Shot it from 50 ft away after it kept walking in on me.

Absolutely nothing came in to my stand for the second year in a row. Obviously I suck at this or Green Peace is tracking me.

PROHUNTER, let's see your bears man? Also, why the name change, seems odd?

Name change was due to my youtube channel name as well as same name I have on several other forums. I am in the process of doing some video uploads and editing etc.

Nothing to brag home about missed a very nice 7+ by a few hours in 14 and only was able to make a few trips to my meatbox station due to the fires etc. We were evacuated for about 8 days.

Next year this guy will be in the cross hairs in 14 biggest blackie I have seen in 14A This is the 7+ I mentioned previously.

a few more

Nice when you are close to home makes processing easier