Thread: worms in kasilof reds

Default worms in kasilof reds

Dipped the mouth 2 days ago ended up with 4 fish. Tried again this afternoon and got 3 nice ones but when I filleted them all 3 had lots of worms. One in particular had thousands. I have never seen worms in reds before just halibut and cod. Is anyone else finding the same thing?

I've commonly found worms in many reds that I've got throughout the Kenai and when dipping the kasilof nothing to be concerned about IMO.

Gad, I used to think those things were nerves or something, but then a friend of mine took a fresh piece of cod and put some salt on it. Oh Lord, you should have seen it. Salmon and Halibut have them too I am told, but once you freeze, or cook it, no problem. Now it doesn't bother me as really, it is all good protein. Believe me, my father was a Health Officer and there are a lot of things that are quite safe even in processed food that we don't know about, and if we don't know about it, it doesn't bother us and our systems can handle it even though aesthetically it is probably best we are unaware. Everyone knows the supposed horror stories about hot dogs and hamburger -- ever thought about what is in that glass of dairy milk? We can be thankful for the food inspections we have in this country, but believe it or not, there are some countries that will not buy certain food products from us as they feel we don't do enough. Well, enough of my rant, some will agree and some will call me crude and nuts as well as uninformed -- but think of all the poor people in China and other places.

If it is out of the wild and cooked, I wouldn't be in the least concerned unless it is something like what happens to certain crustaceans during Red Tide, but our inspectors do a pretty good job or warning us when these rare occurrences happen. How about Sushi? Worms in that too I would think, but some worms can live in our systems and some can't. A lot of the critters out there are what are called Host Specific.

I guess if you are rerally bothered by it, a lot of the little buggers will come out if you put a coating of salt in the fresh meat and let it sit for a fairly short time, then soak in clear water to rinse it out. Anyone have other remedies? If so please chime in. Personally, unless there were thousands of them, I wouldn't bother, as was said in another post, they won't hurt you. If wrong, let us all know and back up with resources.

Ok, time to throw the tomatoes, other rotten fruit, and offal. Here I be, go for it.

Perfectly normal, perfectly healthy...

They're round worms. Sockeye feed on crustaceans and that's why the meat is very red. (Kings / Silvers eat herring and other bait fish,..not so red) The lifecycle of a roundworm is: poop, then crustaceans eat the stuff on the bottom, then the reds eat the crustaceans and the egg hatches, worm hangs out in the fish guts.

Here's the deal - remove the guts quickly. Once the host dies the parasite moves into the meat. IF the worms get in the meat they'll be below the lateral line because they went straight from gut into the meat. That way when something consumes the meat they move onto the next thing I guess. But if you gut them quickly it'd be rare to see them in the meat.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by EBobo View Post

Here's the deal - remove the guts quickly. Once the host dies the parasite moves into the meat. IF the worms get in the meat they'll be below the lateral line because they went straight from gut into the meat. That way when something consumes the meat they move onto the next thing I guess. But if you gut them quickly it'd be rare to see them in the meat.
    Thats not completely true. The parasites don't migrate from the gut when the host dies, they burrow into the flesh over time when the fish is alive...it's not an instantaneous process. Perfectly healthy, live fish have parasites in the flesh, that's just how it is. Some have very few, some have more.