Thread: Where to Launch on the Kasilof?

Default Where to Launch on the Kasilof?

I recently bought a 18-ft Jon boat with a 40 HP prop on it. I know there's a public boat launch up by the Sterling highway bridge. Is the river navigable with a prop between the bridge and the boat dipnetting area at river mile 3? As an alternative, can I safely launch my boat from the south beach at the mouth with a 4WD?

The sand is deep just before the gravel area on the south beach. If you have a 4wd truck with good tires you should be OK. Follow the guard rail north and stay to the right till you get to the end. Other option is up at the bridge but if your not familiar with the river I wouldn't attempt

Having run the river dozens of times with a driftboat I would not run it with a prop unless I was very familiar with it.
    Until the state gets their launch built you will have to launch on the beach or motor over from Kenai.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    ...or motor over from Kenai.
    Watch out for set nets...

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    Watch out for set nets...
    Yes forgot about that one.
    Not sure motoring from Kenai is a good option but the possibility is there so I thought I would mention it.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Yes forgot about that one.
    Not sure motoring from Kenai is a good option but the possibility is there so I thought I would mention it.
    Of course it can be done but there are a number of big rocks even waaaaaay out there between the Kenai and Kasilof.

I haven't done it in years, but used to launch off the south beach at the mouth. Better make sure you have good beach tires though.....

Oh.....and I second what you said.....unless a person is familiar with that river, I sure wouldn't run it with a prop from the bridge down....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

We always launch from either
    1. The beach straight into the ocean, however you have to time this one or else risk swamping the boat. Been there don't that.

2. Launch closer to the mouth of the river where there are no swells and the ground is nice and rocky not muddy.

I highly recommend not using your truck as we commonly see vehicles getting stuck and then required help or assistance to get unstuck before the tide gets to them. We always use wheelers or side by sides.

Just my .02