Thread: Why should I be paying ?

Default Why should I be paying ?

I am looking at buying a seaark 1660 but I have been getting a lot of different prices, especially looking at used boats on Craig's list. The prices I have been seeing for a used boat that's a few years old is not that far off from brand new and then when I talk to people who have bought brand new boats the prices are always different. I just don't want to buy one and then find out I wasted a boat load of money.

Three years ago purchased a Seaark 1860 and a trailer for $8400. A single axle trailer is about $1800 new, and an 1660 is probably $4500-$5000ish. Then the motor and that is at least as expensive as the rest. A Yamaha F40 Jet is about $6k and a F90 Jet is about $9000. If I was in the market for a new setup and in Wasilla area I'd buy the boat and trailer from the boat dealer and then run over to BassPro and buy a Merc 60/40 Jet, those guys are selling outboards at lower 48 prices.

Sobie2

Thanks for the info, I'll probably never make up my mind and either way I'll still feel like I paid to much no matter what way I choose to go.

Kinda depends on how bad you want to be on the water. If you're willing to pay "fair" price or "the going rate" you can be out there tomorrow. If you're going to sit back and worry that you might pay more than the absolute lowest price posted in the last three years, you're probably still going to be sitting and wishing for a boat three years from now. Yeah, we paid more for our boat 4 years ago than if I'd spent the last 4 years searching and fretting. But we have over 600 hours on the engine now, time much better spent than worrying about 5% or 10% savings.

It's your dime and you can sit on it as long as you're comfortable with it. But at some point sitting on your dime adds up to a whole lot of sitting without a boat.

Purchasing that boat is nothing. It will be the uplifting and constant things you want to add plus all the gear you will tear up like rods, reels, tackle, waders, boots, coolers, electronics, engine maintenance etc.

If you want a new boat then look at fall or winter boat stores and see what has been on the lot since spring of the previous years. They will wheel and deal on them. I am 100% with Brown Bear. Bite the bullet and get on the water and have some fun and make some memories.

Used boats , unless you find the one someone has purchased and let sit 5 years like my neighbor you buying someones newly rebuilt motor, or pump or new alternator. Depends on how mechanical you are. Also how bad someone needs the cash.

Worrying about whether you could have bought this for that price, or that for this price, will get you nothing other than an ulcer and missing out on the rest of the boating season. Decide what you want in a boat, how much you are willing to spend, then choose a setup you feel is a good value and be happy. Just because you see something down the road that you "think" may have been "better", does not mean that is actually the case or that you even would have had a chance at it.

To me it depends, are you totally stuck on the SeaArk? If not what about a similar boat of a near size? That would broaden your choices. I've purchased every boat I've ever bought used. I feel I've always gotten a better deal. If your pretty confident in what to look for you should be able to get a much better deal on a used boat. You likely will find some hidden treasures in the form of past owner installed accessories. I would recommend taking the boat to your nearest local lake and test drive it before purchase.

Some other factors to consider, especially with used boats is when you buy it. Leading up to about this time of year, sellers are asking for top dollar. As the summer winds down, so do prices. Of course, that means you may be buying a boat and then not using it for 6-9 months.

I have decided to put some money away until this winter and spend money on the motor and then wait for the right boat to come along or if it's winding down to boating season just go get what I want, thanks for all the good advice.

Lots of good stuff on Craig's list if your gonna be searching for a bit, most people don't understand that a boat and motor depreciate a lot as soon as the dealer takes their profit so don't be afraid to give someone a reality check and offer them 40 to 50 percent of what their asking price is

B.O.A.T= break out another thousand..............you mite as well get smarted up rite quick...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default Oh I don't know, FUN !!!!!!!!

The old boat.

The new one.

It cost me a bit to get exactly what I wanted, but the 70 yamaha makes this boat a kick in the @$$ to run

That is exactly what I was wanting the 70 on the 1660 MVJT, sweet ride