Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Naha River

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12

    Default Naha River

    Hello Everybody,

    First post here, cant say enough how much I enjoy reading everybody's info and reports! Thought I would give this forum a try. I am going to Jordan Lake towards the middle of August and trying to gauge what I am too be looking forward to in the way of salmon / trout/ dollies. Starting to get my purchases in line for flies and beads. Any info would be greatly appreciated. If PM is better I totally understand. Looking for good flies for the river and Lake, and also bead selections. Trying to gauge run timing for the Naha is really hard. Unfortunately there is just not alot of info about it. I have searched these forums high and low and not really got any good detailed info. From what I have gathered, I may be a little early for coho, however pinks and chums should be prevalent. If that is the case, is there a really good fly anybody would recommend? Also; I am planning on hiking quite a bit, if there are any surrounding areas withing a 3-5 mile trek I am game.

    Thanks again,

    Matt.

  2. #2
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt395 View Post
    Hello Everybody,

    First post here, cant say enough how much I enjoy reading everybody's info and reports! Thought I would give this forum a try. I am going to Jordan Lake towards the middle of August and trying to gauge what I am too be looking forward to in the way of salmon / trout/ dollies. Starting to get my purchases in line for flies and beads. Any info would be greatly appreciated. If PM is better I totally understand. Looking for good flies for the river and Lake, and also bead selections. Trying to gauge run timing for the Naha is really hard. Unfortunately there is just not alot of info about it. I have searched these forums high and low and not really got any good detailed info. From what I have gathered, I may be a little early for coho, however pinks and chums should be prevalent. If that is the case, is there a really good fly anybody would recommend? Also; I am planning on hiking quite a bit, if there are any surrounding areas withing a 3-5 mile trek I am game.

    Thanks again,

    Matt.
    I've never fished for salmon on the Naha, I always target rainbows and steelhead when I go. I usually use black leeches and nymphs for my best success for the rainbows, you probably won't see any steelhead at that time.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Thanks KingFisher, sorry for the late response, work has had me tied down. For trout / dolly's; would you recommend any certain flies, streamers? or egg patterns? Really getting excited for this trip.

    Thanks!

    Matt.

  4. #4
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt395 View Post
    Thanks KingFisher, sorry for the late response, work has had me tied down. For trout / dolly's; would you recommend any certain flies, streamers? or egg patterns? Really getting excited for this trip.

    Thanks!

    Matt.
    I'm sure there are some good egg patterns that would work, but I just never tried any. For streamers and flies I used the black leeches and dark nymphs as I described in my first comments. Good luck.

  5. #5
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    I talked to my son who fished the Naha quite a bit and he said he usually colored matched the pink salmon (humpy) eggs that were in the stream. So you would need to bring a good selection of colors and sizes to be able to make the match. Hope this helps.

  6. #6
    Member DannerAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whiskey River
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    I'd recommend a call to Alaska Fly Fishing goods in Juneau. There website is also very informative. http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com/
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12

    Default

    I bought the SE/Bristol bay bead selection. All mottled beads. For salmon I purchased the pink salmon selection. I doubt that it will happen but I am wishing that there are some early run Silvers. I know sockeye do not traditionally take flies, but does anybody in here recommend any specific patterns?

  8. #8
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt395 View Post
    I bought the SE/Bristol bay bead selection. All mottled beads. For salmon I purchased the pink salmon selection. I doubt that it will happen but I am wishing that there are some early run Silvers. I know sockeye do not traditionally take flies, but does anybody in here recommend any specific patterns?
    Kenai krill killers, Comets.



    Release Lake Trout

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Just got back. Thanks for everybody's insight. Fishing was pretty fantastic in my opinion. Caught 40-50 Rainbows a day ranging from a lot of dinks to fish over 20 inches. Lost several over 20 inches. Salmon were plentiful. Mostly pink's and chums. Managed one coho. Saw only two people on the river the whole time and they rode their boat up from ketchikan. Really nice people by the way. I for sure will come back next year. Thinking about a different location due to time constraints; looking into the Karta river area on POW. Thanks everybody for your help again.

    PS: got my first steelhead on the upper portion on our third evening. No photo of it, but beautiful chromer.

    road to success:

    Floating line, Dolly LLama flys, Humpy Hookers, Purple egg sucking leaches.
    Beads: Mottled Egg yolk in size 8 with clear peg was down right deadly.


    Hope this helps anybody that is heading out.

  10. #10

    Default helps me out

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt395 View Post
    Just got back. Thanks for everybody's insight. Fishing was pretty fantastic in my opinion. Caught 40-50 Rainbows a day ranging from a lot of dinks to fish over 20 inches. Lost several over 20 inches. Salmon were plentiful. Mostly pink's and chums. Managed one coho. Saw only two people on the river the whole time and they rode their boat up from ketchikan. Really nice people by the way. I for sure will come back next year. Thinking about a different location due to time constraints; looking into the Karta river area on POW. Thanks everybody for your help again.

    PS: got my first steelhead on the upper portion on our third evening. No photo of it, but beautiful chromer.

    road to success:

    Floating line, Dolly LLama flys, Humpy Hookers, Purple egg sucking leaches.
    Beads: Mottled Egg yolk in size 8 with clear peg was down right deadly.


    Hope this helps anybody that is heading out.
    Sure helps me out - since I'm headed to the Naha in ~10 days or so. Maybe there will be a few more silvers by then. What color is "mottled egg yolk"; yellow-ish?

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    Sure helps me out - since I'm headed to the Naha in ~10 days or so. Maybe there will be a few more silvers by then. What color is "mottled egg yolk"; yellow-ish?
    Mottled Egg Yolk seemed to have alot more white and less translucency to it. Not quite dead egg. Are you staying at the jordan lake cabin? I left a couple of flies there as a trade off with a note. For leaving if something works. I believe I left one of the eggs there. The area where the Naha empties into Jordan lake is really good first thing in the morning and late at night just prior to dark. Multiple trout hooked over 20 inches and lost to the giant tree stump. There should be some silvers down low in the system.

    Good Luck!

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt395 View Post
    Mottled Egg Yolk seemed to have alot more white and less translucency to it. Not quite dead egg. Are you staying at the jordan lake cabin? I left a couple of flies there as a trade off with a note. For leaving if something works. I believe I left one of the eggs there. The area where the Naha empties into Jordan lake is really good first thing in the morning and late at night just prior to dark. Multiple trout hooked over 20 inches and lost to the giant tree stump. There should be some silvers down low in the system.

    Good Luck!
    Thanks Matt. BTW, I also have been to the Karta in september. That place at that time is different from most. It has an insane run of pinks that swamp everything in the fall into at least mid-September. I caught a total of 2 silvers in 9+ days, both on the ascending limb of a huge storm that turned the rivers into coffee from silt. A couple trout here and there, a few small cuts, a dolly or so. No dozen-fish days (unless you count moldy pinks and chums). Tho I didn't fish beads, I did try a million other egg patterns that had worked elsewhere in Alaska, mostly without success. What I did catch was on egg-sucking leeches. The Karta lakes themselves are dead as a doornail fishing wise - no rises, no lily pad cover, a few pinks at the inlet/outlets but nothing to write about. The Karta allegedly fishes better for steelhead in the spring but reports vary.

    Habitat is good, catching was not. According to the cabin log books, as I remember them, the better silver fishing at the Karta starts around the 2nd-3rd week of July.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •