Thread: where and what species for only 5 days

Default where and what species for only 5 days

I always enjoy reading here when I can and since my young family is itching to go to the great state of Alaska to fish/sight see, why not see if some of you locals could lend a hand? It will actually be a very last minute quick planning trip. I have some help with PMing folks but I thought I better start a thread just in case. We plan to fly into Anchorage this Saturday and leave next Thursday. I plan to get a guide for one day but plan to bring poles of our own to fish solo as well. So....with such a blank slate to work with, what would you fish for and where would you head to? I love remote cabins wherever possible, so with that said, does anyone have a "must see" place to stay for lodging. Thanks

First question should be when are you going?

Quote Originally Posted by Travis77 View Post
    We plan to fly into Anchorage this Saturday and leave next Thursday. Thanks

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

We plan to fly in on July 4th. From what I gather we will coming between the two red runs but halibut fishing is picking up. Does this sound about right?

if you want to bring home meat for the freezer i would try and find a combo trip with some charter out of seward homer whittier or valdez probably be tough to do since most places are booked up months in advance. (i booked my trip for july 2016 this year) Since were inbetween red runs it will be slim pickins for that, but if you put some time in you may be able to pull a couple out of the kenai.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

ditto on a multi species combo. There are reds around too, they come through in spits and spurts you just have to put the time in.

Thanks for the tips. We definately plan to put in the time.

If you want to try for an awesome combo out of Homer, I know a guy who might be open. Send me a pm and I'll give you his info.