Thread: Lost and Damaged Gear on Russian River

Default Lost and Damaged Gear on Russian River

Experienced a number of negative incidents this past week on the Russian River, so need to vent my frustration while passing along some advice to others who may find themselves in similar situations.

While filleting fish on the cleaning tables at the confluence, someone snapped the tip off a fly rod propped up on the gravel bar. In such a densely crowded area, guess I should have anticipated something like that happening. In the days that followed, my solution was to place the rods in an upright position inside a backpack and attach some brightly-colored ribbon to the tips. After that, no more problems.

In another instance, I loaned my landing net to a guy who, in an attempt to scoop up a fish, plunged it into the riverbed with enough force to break the hoop and shatter the yoke. When the fellow returned the remnants, the stated unapologetically, "I hope you don't have any sentimental attachment to this thing. The least we can do is carry it to the dumpster for you."

Truth be told, I'd owned that net since high school and it had served me well for nearly 35 years with many fish successfully landed. I'd far exceeded the return on investment for this item, but it was infuriating to see such carelessness and disregard for my well-maintained property.

Meanwhile, my guests lost two pair of sunglasses (eye protection) and a hook sharpener. Figured my fillet knife and fish bonker were gone forever as well, but by a miracle both were recovered some distance downstream.

Lesson learned: if you let people borrow your stuff, be prepared to suffer the consequences and don't expect to be compensated when something breaks or is lost.

On a positive note, the treasure hunting must be phenomenal when the water level drops in the fall!

Sounds like you'll be looking for a different area next year...

Good points..but you have to be willing to except a certain type of situation when there...let alone the personalities you are going to run into. Kind of like the melting pot of fisherman...lol

Best of luck next time..hope you left with some fish.

I seldom loan anything out for this very reason. If some doof forgot to bring his own stuff, too bad. He'll likely try harder to manage his inventory better next time.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

If you loan something out, it's better to try and get into the mindset that you may never see it again. Then if you do it'll be a nice surprise.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

If I had a nickel for every rod that was stepped on and broken on that particular gravel bar, I could easily buy you a brand new rod!!!

Lost count of the number of swivels and weights that I ended up handing out to the unprepared last week. The topper was my brother giving away our stringer to someone in need. I chastised him for that move!

Some days it is better to pick up a 6 pack and mow the grass not as much stress.

KNOW your environment,, The RR is one of those places during tourist season that more often than not is going to be over run with anglers of little to no fishing experience that think the salmon will be thick enough to walk on and every bear they see will eat them.

It is not the place to take anything of value or sentimental value.

Your best bet it to go with way more rod and line than you really need and fish with a rig you don't mind getting broken or stolen.

I still enjoy going there and helping folks, sure some times I feel the need to find another hole, but I get a kick out of the enthusiasm and excitement many get catching their first salmon.

Tight lines all
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Experienced a number of negative incidents this past week on the Russian River, so need to vent my frustration while passing along some advice to others who may find themselves in similar situations.

While filleting fish on the cleaning tables at the confluence, someone snapped the tip off a fly rod propped up on the gravel bar. In such a densely crowded area, guess I should have anticipated something like that happening. In the days that followed, my solution was to place the rods in an upright position inside a backpack and attach some brightly-colored ribbon to the tips. After that, no more problems.

In another instance, I loaned my landing net to a guy who, in an attempt to scoop up a fish, plunged it into the riverbed with enough force to break the hoop and shatter the yoke. When the fellow returned the remnants, the stated unapologetically, "I hope you don't have any sentimental attachment to this thing. The least we can do is carry it to the dumpster for you."

Truth be told, I'd owned that net since high school and it had served me well for nearly 35 years with many fish successfully landed. I'd far exceeded the return on investment for this item, but it was infuriating to see such carelessness and disregard for my well-maintained property.

Meanwhile, my guests lost two pair of sunglasses (eye protection) and a hook sharpener. Figured my fillet knife and fish bonker were gone forever as well, but by a miracle both were recovered some distance downstream.

Lesson learned: if you let people borrow your stuff, be prepared to suffer the consequences and don't expect to be compensated when something breaks or is lost.

On a positive note, the treasure hunting must be phenomenal when the water level drops in the fall!
    Don't loan a net; take a break from fishing, use it yourself to scoop the fish, and everyone's a winner.

I normally get a good buzz on before I venture into the danger zone! Makes it much more entertaining

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    I normally get a good buzz on before I venture into the danger zone! Makes it much more entertaining

Sent while partying
    Me too,, plus I splash on a little as perfume. That and a little slur,, with a swinging rod, I get all kinds of space.
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post

Sent while partying
    How did you get life insurance? Don't they know you're in the Danger Zone? Better call Kenny...

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Me too,, plus I splash on a little as perfume. That and a little slur,, with a swinging rod, I get all kinds of space.
    Yeah, but I'll bet the tourists all consider you a REAL Alaskan.

Of course all the Alaskans will think you're a French tourist.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Yeah, but I'll bet the tourists all consider you a REAL Alaskan.

Of course all the Alaskans will think you're a French tourist.
    I make sure to slur in Spanish,, I would never sully the reputation or pretend to be a "real Alaskan"
    Founding Member

One of the best experiences I had fishing the upper Kenai we went up on a Thursday evening caught the last ferry across and waited until midnight and started fishing it was just us and some German fellas fishing all night. Anymore I will drive up to the Klutina and fish a smaller crowd for sure especially towards the mouth of the Klutina.

I definitely don't take my Loomis rods and Ross reels to the Russian... Wait I don't own any of those...

Sorry for the OPs rough day, would definitely put a damper on things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk