Thread: I Need Your Expert Advice

Default I Need Your Expert Advice

Hello,

We will be visiting your amazing and wild country in the summer of 2008.
    We will be doing a floating trip muy father, brother and myself, and its our lifetime experience!

I need your expert advise. We have already decided to go to Brooks Range area, but... we would like to fulfill these three requirements:

1.- Solitude (not other parties, or at least not so many)
    2.- High chances to spot grizzly bear and other fauna
    3.- Hiking opportunities as well

Which river, in your opinion would be better?
    ALATNA? KONGAKUT? JOHN? SHEENJEK?...

We would really appreciat if you could give us your opinion. Also we would appreciate if you could recommend outfitters that serve this area.

Thank you very much, and best regards for you from Spain.

I know that Backcountry Safaris does the Kongakut, and offers a nice trip for small groups. You would think it would be very secluded in a place like that, but the prime rafting season is short up there and everyone seems to do it at the same time. That's pretty much the same for all these places, but if you schedule a float at the beginning or end of the short season you will have less chance of seeing other parties. I also know that you are almost guaranteed a good look at several bears in the area. More info here:

http://www.backcountrysafaris.com/bc...akut-river.php

Thank you very much Jim for your comments.
    Itīs difficult to plan such a trip from here, and your help is really appreciated.

Best regards from Spain

Default Access to the eastern Brooks

Spain,

As to access to the area you are speaking of, you might contact Kirk Sweetsir of Yukon Air Service. I have not flown with him personally but a number of folks here have recommended him highly.

I believe Kirk could recommend some alternate rivers that might be less crowded. Another thing to consider is that some of these systems may be more crowded from mid-August well into September when hunters are afield.

Best of luck!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for your comments!. Just one more question: do you think Kirk Sweetsir will offer also guiding service (We have some back country experience, but not enough as to be on our own out in wild Alaska).

We cant wait to experience your incredible land.

Thany you and best regards

p.d.: if anybody is interested in visiting Spain do not hesitate to contact me. I would try to help as much as I can (we also have some wild areas and animals. Last populations where: wolves: 2.500 / brown bears: 200 / Lynx: 200. Lots of deer, and wild boars...)