Thread: Where to catch a gnarly old red sockeye mid to late august?

Default Where to catch a gnarly old red sockeye mid to late august?

Hi Everyone-

My wife and I travel to Homer for Halibut in the summer and have done some salmon fishing on the Kenai and are looking to catch for taxidermy purposes a snaggly toothed sockeye that is near the end of its spawn (red body and green head and humpback). We have all seen the pictures and the taxidermy but we don't know exactly where to go and what time in August to catch this fish.

Any guide suggestions or locations to fish would be great!

Thanks,

Mike and Keri

The russian River, But you will need to read the regulations as to when sockeye season closes up there. You can catch one on every cast.

Or a ways below the Russian towards Jim's Landing.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I'd go to Jims landing, lots of red reds there in August

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

If you are driving up instead of flying, try the Gulkana's August run. You can fish them from the Richardson Hwy access. They can get that narly green look towards the end of August.

Thanks for the tips. We will be driving down from Anchorage and hit the Russian river on our way to Homer and then stop again on the way back. Gulkanas may be out of way for this trip. Is the Russian river and Jim's landing where all the "combat" fishing occurs? Dang your rivers get busy!

Thanks again,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by palasz View Post
    Thanks for the tips. We will be driving down from Anchorage and hit the Russian river on our way to Homer and then stop again on the way back. Gulkanas may be out of way for this trip. Is the Russian river and Jim's landing where all the "combat" fishing occurs? Dang your rivers get busy!

Thanks again,

Mike
    The Russian river yes........but it thins out a bit down towards Jim's and below. But shouldn't be that bad that time of year as not many want to catch and eat old spawned out reds......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Dang your rivers get busy!
    Only the rivers people talk about on the internet...
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Only the rivers people talk about on the internet...
    Which is pretty much all of them.

Are you going to eat it? Are you allowed to catch & keep a fish when the only purpose is taxidermy use? Some fish taxidermists make a replica from photos, and don't even need the fish.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Anywhere on the Kenai. Fish the slough's and backwaters. You can catch them on most anything - spinners, beads, dollie lammas - anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Are you going to eat it? Are you allowed to catch & keep a fish when the only purpose is taxidermy use? Some fish taxidermists make a replica from photos, and don't even need the fish.
    This was going to be my reply. I suggest a replica. Catch one (or several) and take pics and measurements. Then find a taxidermist that does replicas and then there's no need to get the thing home or deal with a dead, nasty fish at all. Cost is the same and they last longer.

I plan to do that some day. I've caught too many salmon to count, but I mainly C&R because I fish for fun, so I have no salmon on the wall to show for it. I'll pick a taxidermist and just have them make me 20 lb silver replica, representing years of catching 20 lb silvers. Unless it's a muskie, it doesn't have to replicate a specific fish...which my muskie replicas do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiakfly View Post
    This was going to be my reply. I suggest a replica. Catch one (or several) and take pics and measurements. Then find a taxidermist that does replicas and then there's no need to get the thing home or deal with a dead, nasty fish at all. Cost is the same and they last longer.

I plan to do that some day. I've caught too many salmon to count, but I mainly C&R because I fish for fun, so I have no salmon on the wall to show for it. I'll pick a taxidermist and just have them make me 20 lb silver replica, representing years of catching 20 lb silvers. Unless it's a muskie, it doesn't have to replicate a specific fish...which my muskie replicas do.
    Totally agree that replica's are the way to go these days! Many skin mounts of my Yellowstone flyfishing for brown trout back in the early 1980's and they're OK still but the way to go is replica mount!

Not a paid promoter but saw way too much of their work in my travels that I had to try and 45# Chinook and was extremely satisfied with their work! All they need is a photo and dimensions and you're good to go!

Prompt courteous service and reasonable and boy do they pack your mount bulletproof!

Try: www.advancedtaxidermy.com
    Last edited by OLD FB; 07-04-2015 at 11:29. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by OLD FB View Post
    I checked out their fish gallery and was highly impressed.
    I think about hunting when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day. And I think about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm doing it. ~credit to Carl Yastrzemski~

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    No. We were not planning on eating an old spawned out red. We are fishing in Homer for Halibut, rockfish and lingcod and ship enough of that home to last a year or more. The red sockeye was going to be a skin mount. I believe we can keep them if caught on the Kenai, which is where we will be fishing for trout and pinks next year.

If anyone has any names of guides that can customize a fishing trip for us we would appreciate the recommendation.

Thanks,

Mike and Keri

No. We were not planning on eating an old spawned out red. We are fishing in Homer for Halibut, rockfish and lingcod and ship enough of that home to last a year or more. The red sockeye was going to be a skin mount. I believe we can keep them if caught on the Kenai, which is where we will be fishing for trout and pinks next year.

If anyone has any names of guides that can customize a fishing trip for us we would appreciate the recommendation.

Thanks,

Mike and Keri

I would imagine that most any guide would be willing to "customize" a trip to fit your needs. I have experience with both Greg Bush (EZ Limits) - mid and lower Kenai - and Troutfitters - upper and mid Kenai - and would recommend either.
    Where are ya from in PA?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I would imagine that most any guide would be willing to "customize" a trip to fit your needs. I have experience with both Greg Bush (EZ Limits) - mid and lower Kenai - and Troutfitters - upper and mid Kenai - and would recommend either.
    Where are ya from in PA?
    Hey Gary-

We live in Eastern Pa near Philly and jet boat on the Delaware River..

M.

Hey Gary-

We live in Eastern Pa near Philly and jet boat on the Delaware River..

M.
    I'll give all the info you need for a box of Tastykakes!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    I'll give all the info you need for a box of Tastykakes!
    Another east-coaster.
    Lay off; I saw 'em first.

Mike - I grew up in Valley Forge and finished up my PA life in the Pottstown area. If FG shares with you, its easily worth a box or three of Tastycakes.