Thread: 225 hp Mercury Optimax

Default 225 hp Mercury Optimax

Does anyone have any experience with this outboard? My son is back on the east coast looking at a boat that has a 2005 with 900 hours on it and is concerned that might be too high time. I'm a Yamaha guy and know nothing about the big Mercury outboards. Any advice is appreciated.

I have a friend who bought a used Merc 200 hp Optimax of the same vintage and he has been thoroughly happy and impressed with it. It has been reliable for him and he pushes that motor hard. I have read online on thehulltruth.com that Optimaxes don't do so well idling, they like to run!

Sobie2

There were 2 charter boat operators who used those, about the same vintage. Nothing but problems, mostly high pressure fuel pump issues. It didn't help that there was no dealer and they were new enough that no one understood them. The problems may all be solved by now. Anyway, the guys couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

I personally long for the days when you could get a new Saltwater Series 200 Yamaha with OX66 fuel injection. Smokey...yes. And dead reliable.

The optis are bullet proof. We have many of them running here in the commercial, sport, and charter fleets. That being said if there is no one in his area to fix them if something goes wrong than maybe look for a different brand.

bbc boards...is your best freind
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......