Thread: Chickamin/Chickamin River

Default Chickamin/Chickamin River

Anyone spent anytime between Hyder and the Chickamin River/Behm Canal area?

Considering a traverse from Hyder to the Behm Canal via the Chickamin Glacier. I'm living in Ketchikan, but local info is fragmented.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by trackhead View Post
    Anyone spent anytime between Hyder and the Chickamin River/Behm Canal area?

Considering a traverse from Hyder to the Behm Canal via the Chickamin Glacier. I'm living in Ketchikan, but local info is fragmented.

Thanks.
    About 15 years ago a good friend and myself ran two skiffs up to the Chickamin River so we could leave one as a transport boat. My friend and another buddy were planning on floating the river starting from the headwaters. After we left the boat he and his buddy flew the river in a helicopter and found that it was not passable. They regrouped and ended up floating the Unuk River instead.

Thanks, I was kind of thinking there was one bad spot on the topo where it could be unlikely.....

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    About 15 years ago a good friend and myself ran two skiffs up to the Chickamin River so we could leave one as a transport boat. My friend and another buddy were planning on floating the river starting from the headwaters. After we left the boat he and his buddy flew the river in a helicopter and found that it was not passable. They regrouped and ended up floating the Unuk River instead.
    Kingfisherktn, I'm looking for beta on the Chickamin River. I wonder what made it "not passable"? It sounds like they had normal raft, like 14'? I'm planning a ski/packraft mission down the Chickamin glacier and river. "Not passable" for a large raft could be portage-able in a pack raft. I would greatly appreciate any advice or information you may have. Do you know which flight service might fly the glacier/river often? Spirit of Alaska Tours? Often enough to possibly take photos in late April.

I don't really remember what the issue was. It seems like it might have been a major slide cutting off access. You would have to find some current activity in that area. Maybe some one like Taquan Air might be able to provide that.

Good luck.