Thread: Homer or Seward this weekend?

Default Homer or Seward this weekend?

Taking a couple buddies from Iowa out fishing this weekend, thinking either Homer or Seward, water looks good other than Thursday. If Seward, hoping to knock out some silvers and if water is good run for some ling cod. Others on the forum out that way this weekend? If Homer, hoping for some decent water that will allow for the Barren Islands, would love to do that trip with another boat.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I will be in homer on the 4th, would love to run out to the barrens. Big tides this weekend, current will be rippin. Pm me if you want to try and make a run out there
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I would avoid Seward if you have a choice, 4th of July is a mad house... I am hitting Whittier on the 4th and by evening hope to be reeling in a nice fat Ling Cod and then looking for halibut and silvers for the next 3-4 days. Enjoy your weekend and be safe.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I would avoid Seward if you have a choice, 4th of July is a mad house... I am hitting Whittier on the 4th and by evening hope to be reeling in a nice fat Ling Cod and then looking for halibut and silvers for the next 3-4 days. Enjoy your weekend and be safe.
    Will try to leave a few lingers for you, we'll be fishing there all day Thursday, then perhaps late night drive to Seward. I know the Seward mad house, we'll be on hook somewhere away from all that madness Friday night and Saturday.

I would think that Seward would be the better of the two choices. I will most likely be in Seward this coming weekend. Just got my boat out of the shop with new outdrive and props and am wanting to make a run out to Montague. If weather turns for the worst at least there are lots of events going on there in Seward. I have been going to Seward for the past couple of years and as long as you launch early and come back late you are usually fine.

Picked up three kings, one silver and one chrome chum in two half hours trolling yesterday. Three rods near the head of the bay in Seward. Still with the traffic I would go to Homer for the forth if I was you. Place is a mad house on the 3rd and 4th.

Any reports of Silvers in Homer?

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Will try to leave a few lingers for you, we'll be fishing there all day Thursday, then perhaps late night drive to Seward. I know the Seward mad house, we'll be on hook somewhere away from all that madness Friday night and Saturday.
    Heck if you are already in Ling territory out of Whittier wouldn't be easier to just take a some extra fuel and make the dash around the horn to Resurrection Bay, assuming the weather was good. Unless your ling spot is way closer to Whittier than mine. Have a good weekend, I hope to be launching on the AM for the 4th, assuming I can find a parking spot in Whittier.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I am debating heading to Seward but leaning towards Whittier and running out to Montague. I think a transient slip might be hard to come by in Seward this weekend and not familiar with places to anchor for the night out of Seward. If anyone wants to meet up out there, my family and I will be in the 28' Raider, boat name Goin Broke.

Seward is crazy, quit fishing the 4th few years ago. Decided to back out the last minute for homer trip. 2 biggest tides this Thursday/Friday. Higher seas Thursday and it will be rippin those days, too many odds, including the boat traffic and highway traffic. I haven't fished enough in Homer to know where to go to catch them with tides like that. My boat is smaller (20ft Alumaweld) Still learning😋 Staying home and trout fishing on lakes.. Next weekend will be nice, I hope weather wise. Hope everyone else has fun!!

Well after all that we will hang in PWS all weekend. Heading to Disk tomorrow night, will fish around that area until Sunday. Red Seasport XL "Rya Tori" if you are out that way.

Good luck, I'll be looking for some epic fishing in Homer
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I have never been to Whittier over the 4th. I am planning a one day trip boating, site seeing with a little fishing with friends on Saturday. What will trailer parking be like typically. I know it will be a hike but will it typically be available. Thanks for any info. Ken

Looks like Seward weather isn't going to be very nice this weekend so going out of whittier ourselves. White w/ black stripe Kingfisher "Hooligan"

What's not to like about Sat-Sun?

PKZ121-030045-
    RESURRECTION BAY-
    353 AM AKDT THU JUL 2 2015

.TODAY...N WIND 20 KT. SEAS 4 FT.
    .TONIGHT...N WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .FRI...N WIND 10 KT BECOMING S 15 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS
    BUILDING TO 3 FT.
    .FRI NIGHT...VARIABLE WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
    .SAT THROUGH MON...VARIABLE WIND LESS THAN 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.

Ken,

You should be able to park in Whittier. Since your'e headed out just for Saturday it shouldn't be too bad as I think most people will be heading out Friday. I have a feeling the ramp on Friday and Sunday will be extra special. My way to increase my pleasure boating out of Whittier is to avoid launching or retrieving on Holidays, Saturdys and Sundays.

Seward doesn't look that bad if it lays down as forecast:

2NM N Resurrection Bay AK

Fri
    N wind 10 kt becoming S 15 kt in the afternoon. Seas building to 3 ft.

Fri Night
    Variable wind 15 kt. Seas 3 ft.

Sat Through Mon
    Variable wind less than 10 kt. Seas 2 ft.

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I guess the seward forecast depends on if you take the outer & inner & average them out.

CAPE CLEARE TO GORE POINT-
    353 AM AKDT THU JUL 2 2015

.TODAY...W WIND 20 KT. SEAS 7 FT. RAIN SHOWERS.
    .TONIGHT...W WIND 30 KT. SEAS 8 FT.
    .FRI...E WIND 15 KT. SEAS 6 FT.
    .FRI NIGHT...E WIND 25 KT. SEAS 7 FT.
    .SAT...E WIND 25 KT. SEAS 7 FT.
    .SUN THROUGH MON...VARIABLE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 7 FT.

Yeah, we had planned on running to Nuka Bay and the small craft advisory for outside of Resurrection changed our minds...