Thread: Sell a rifle with or without a scope?

Default Sell a rifle with or without a scope?

I have some boat projects that need funding, and I have some rifles/guns I no longer shoot. I also have a lot of ammo for these as well. Should I sell these things as packages with the scopes or sell them separately?

Regarding the ammo, if it has the price still on the box is that a fair price (like before ammo went up so it is lower than today)?

I just want to be fair.

Thanks,
    Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    I have some boat projects that need funding, and I have some rifles/guns I no longer shoot. I also have a lot of ammo for these as well. Should I sell these things as packages with the scopes or sell them separately?

Regarding the ammo, if it has the price still on the box is that a fair price (like before ammo went up so it is lower than today)?

I just want to be fair.

Thanks,
    Sobie2
    You can do it either way, but IMHO (which is worth exactly the cost paid for it) I'd think you list them as packages and then let people approach you with splitting them up. List a price for the package that you feel is fair, but have a number in mind for each piece. And have the pieces be slightly more than the combined total. For instance, gun and scope = $1,000. Scope is $500. Gun is $650. Or whatever you feel fair. If someone asks to split them up, you can counter with the individual prices. Just a thought, maybe not the best.

I will only sell a scope with the rifle if the scope is of little or no value. It is generally difficult to get fair value out of a good scope when it is attached to any given rifle. I know when I go to buy a used rifle, I just look at the rifle for the value, the scope is either worth nothing, like a cheap Tasco or Bushnell, or I see it as a "gravy" part of the deal if it is a quality scope.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Normally as a buyer I like package deals because I get more for my buck and as a seller I don't like package deals because I get more selling piecemeal.

I normally don't leave a scope on, my thinking is a junk scope on a good gun detracts and a good scope on a cheap gun is giving a scope away . . . now a budget rifle that has a cheap optic on top I'll leave thinking it's an entry level rifle and may sell better scopped.

With ammo I'll often hand the buyer a box or two, not as part of the deal just as a gift. If I have "lots" as you say I sell that on it's own usuley as a lot. I never sell the ammo until the gun is gone.

Slings, gun cases, and so on are often thrown in like the first ammo . . . these things tend to collect in my gun room all on their own somehow.

I sometimes will build a package of the stuff but each thing (gun/optic/ammo) has it's own price negotiated separately.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Hello, lurker from California,
    I sell on calguns.net I offer two prices, one with the scope and one without. Someone may have a scope they like.
    I do find that most have sold as a complete package. I have Leupold scopes fair priced and always give a box of ammo, otherwise its a paperweight. I never sell ammo for what I paid for it, but at a fair price based on today's prices (not gonna ream myself either) . It takes time because there is not a lot of discretionary money floating around right now.
    good luck
    thomashoward

If the scope and rifle are both of good quality, my experience is that you'll get hosed selling them as a package. I had a Remington 700 .22-250 with a bull barrel and a 6.5x20 Leupold scope on my table at a gun show in Wa. recently. Priced at $900. The scope costs more than that these days. Next show I'll be splitting them up. I'll come out better in the long run. Also had a 700 in 8mm mag with a 3x9 Leupold on it. Had it on the table at $700. Still own it. I thought they were both pretty good deals.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Thanks everyone!

Sobie2

For me, optics are pretty personal, like seat covers on a car so it makes more sense to split them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    For me, optics are pretty personal, like seat covers on a car so it makes more sense to split them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed, also, the odds of someone wanting that gun or that scope is much higher than them wanting THAT gun with That scope, and I'd assume at the least they would move faster and you'd likely get more cash out of it.