Thread: The Gulkana Report 6/30

Default The Gulkana Report 6/30

Hi guys:

I am getting lots of call on how is the river doing so here goes:

The rain up the West Fork has increased the flow by almost 1-2 feet in the past 2 days. It is muddy as you would expect and we are not seeing Kings being caught in the past 24 hours. Saturday was a killer day but it was like a switch got hit Sunday morning. If the rain is all done I expect we will see the water clear up in the next 36ish hours.

Walt
    Gulkana Raft Rentals
    907-259-4290

Walt, Did any of your clients float the lower river friday into that headwind? My 3 boats got blown backward into the big wall 1/4 mile upstream from the bridge. Never seen anything like it.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

The wind was crazy strong! I had five family/friends, none of us under 180 lbs, in my boat and it was all I could do to get around the corner. Dust and dirt was was blowing up the bluff in big plumes. When I stopped rowing we were blown back up stream. The wind was strong Sat/Sun too.

Water was low, wind was fierce, fishing was still better than average. That was my trip in a nutshell last week.

Interesting, as I would say fishing was a bit below average. Camped out on Sat & Sunday & only saw 2 fish caught the entire weekend off the hole close by. Talked to a couple guides that I recognized from camping over the yrs & they had scratched out a couple but nothing serious. We floated down late Friday night or early Saturday depending how you look at it (from Sailors Pit) & floated through a spot where I saw 4 rollers. Thought about stopping but didn't' & almost every boat I talked to on Saturday sounded like they picked up one up in that general area. I guess I will have to branch out & try different holes as I only fish two spots as they have always produced, but not this time. Floated out early afternoon Sunday but didn't stop to fish as I was content to just relax & float.

Just got back from a weekend down on the Gulkana.

First of all thank you Walt. I have been wanting to float the river for a while now and finally did it. I was not expecting all the help you gave us. Especially helping carry the raft down to the water!

Second the bottom half of the river was some slow fishing. We had a few hookups but nothing major. Did not see any sockeye. The upper half was great. Lots of Kings, lots of grayling, lots of trout. More kings that I have seen in one place. Was good to see. Had a blast on an absolutely beautiful river.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

No problem! I was glad to have you out. The Poplar Grove hump is getting tougher for me every every year, I guess I am getting old. I pack rafts down that trail 3-4 times per week and after yesterdays hump I don't know how many more years I will be offering yo do that. Dam I need to get tougher!

We are on the tail endow the kings for sure. Almost all of the King action is now above Sourdough but our groups who are putting in at Poplar Grove are still hooking up so it would be my suggestion to plan on 1 more weekend on the Kings and then switch over to our late Red run.

All part of the service guys, I rent the raft, drop you off, put you on the water and pick you up, what a deal!

Walt
    Gulkana Raft Rentals
    907-259-4290
    Attached Images Attached Images