Thread: Got culled dogs?

Default Got culled dogs?

My wife and I are going to be moving to Alaska soon and we want to have some sled dogs. We're getting into it just for the fun of it and the companionship of the dogs (can't imagine my life w/o dogs!). Would someone culling his dogs be willing to donate some to a loving and caring couple?

You may be sorry you asked that question. Every musher in the world has dogs he doesn't want to keep, but can't bear to see possibly put down. I've seen others do what you are asking and soon be overwhelmed with dogs. Hopefully you can say NO once you get what you want.
    You might let folks know where in Alaska you'll be residing.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default "Second Chance League"

Rick, check out this link:
    http://members.petfinder.org/~AK17/index.php

"The Second Chance League is a group of Fairbanks mushers focused on finding permanent homes for sled dogs. SCL is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation. We work with dogs exclusively from the municipal animal shelter in Fairbanks, evaluate them, foster them, and train them with our own dog teams. Many of these dogs have excellent bloodlines. Our goal is for the dogs to be successful. We strive to match the right dog to the right owner."

I can't say enough good things about what they are doing. If you aren't going to the Fbks area, may check into available dogs anyway from them...they may also have leads to dogs from other areas. Also there are links on sleddogcentral.com to various clubs all over the state and they also may have tips/leads on finding dogs.

Also I advise checking out the Mush With Pride website to see what you're getting into:
    http://www.mushwithpride.org/

You might also consider picking up some copies of Mushing magazine. Good luck,

Default great idea

Thanks for the reply guys! The plan is to live in the bush. I know that might not sound like a good idea for a greenhorn but I'm a smart guy and have a lot of skills in the outdoors. I don't intend to get over about 10 miles from the nearest road in case of emergency situation. I'll also have a 4 wheeler for transportation. When we get up there I'll post another thread that I'm looking for a couple of dogs. I think maybe two to start with is all I'll want; I'll be building a cabin and that'll take up a lot of my time for the first few months. I'm so pumped about moving up I can hardly see straight!

I second Second Chance League. They are a great organization that saves many sled dogs.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

If your interested in running dogs, I would recommend looking up a musher who lives in the area you will be in before you get dogs!! Learning as you go is one way to do it, but someone who knows the ropes can save you alot of headaches. Why repeat someone elses mistakes? It just might prevent you or your dogs from getting hurt in the process. Sleddogcentral.com would be one place to look up folks. Or shoot me a PM and maybe i can point you in the right direction.

Default Thanks!

Thanks a bunch for the info and the link!! I bookmarked that site; will have to spend some time there for sure.

hi I have a fewer oldr dogs around 9 years old that still pull very well, They are working this summer and available Sept. 28 in whitehorse. I ahve 35 dogs and run the Quest 2 times
    Let me know if they are of interest