Thread: Lake Louise and Susitna Lake via SportJon; suggestions?

Default Lake Louise and Susitna Lake via SportJon; suggestions?

Headed up to Lake Louise to do some camping, fishing for the 4th and decided to take the SportJon. Never been on the lake, but heard there is lake trout, burbot and possibly Grayling. Also heard Susitna Lake and Tyone creek was full of weeds and not good for a jet but was hoping to run up the Susitna to look at a cabin with some friends so I'm going to also take a canoe along. Anyone have any experience up there and willing to fill in some blanks on conditions and gear suggestions before I go? My tackle box is 100% salmon. Thanks in advance.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

I would bring a bottom repair kit in case you have problems with rocks in the Tyone.

Dereck Ive been told Lake Louise in some spots also never had my boat in it I would stop by the lodge and ask them about water conditions hope you have a good 4th Chris
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    Headed up to Lake Louise to do some camping, fishing for the 4th and decided to take the SportJon. Never been on the lake, but heard there is lake trout, burbot and possibly Grayling. Also heard Susitna Lake and Tyone creek was full of weeds and not good for a jet but was hoping to run up the Susitna to look at a cabin with some friends so I'm going to also take a canoe along. Anyone have any experience up there and willing to fill in some blanks on conditions and gear suggestions before I go? My tackle box is 100% salmon. Thanks in advance.
    Be careful with the weather. The afternoon winds can pick up quickly on Louise and, as shown by last year, be fatal even for people who know the lake. Lake Louise is really very shallow in a lot of areas, so while it may look like a big lake, the waves pick up quickly near the channel and west end of the lake with the shallower water. If it's choppy where you launch the boat, it will be twice as bad at the channel to Susitna and there aren't any good hiding places once you get over there to bail out.

Shouldn't have any problem with weeds on Lake Susitna, that is a pretty deep lake for the most part and good running. Weeds do start to be an issue on Lake Tyone and definitely as you would start down the river. I wouldn't worry as much about the weeds in the river as much as the hidden boulders. The flow is very slow, so you can't see any sign of large, often sharp, boulders just below the surface. We tend to refer to them as "can openers". If you are planning to head down the river, make sure you have good tools and repair experience. Even those who know the river well take their time in the upper portions of the river because they know when (not if) they hit a rock, they don't want it to do too much damage.

I have a full UHMW bottom but will avoid the river, this is just a casual trip with friends and I'm not interested in playing frogger this trip - thanks for the information especially on water/wind conditions. The cabin is at the far end of Susitna Lake so I'll be sure to keep an eye on the weather before heading to the channel.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Dereck Ive been told Lake Louise in some spots also never had my boat in it I would stop by the lodge and ask them about water conditions hope you have a good 4th Chris
    Thanks buddy. I'll see you next week - enjoy your weekend.