Thread: Pike fishing the Dall

Default Pike fishing the Dall

What Happened? In the 80's we use to catch and release all the pike you'd want to reel in on a weekend. I just got back and it was a bust. We caught a few 1- 2 lbers but you could say we got skunked. The water was 10' lower than normal and all the feeder sloughs were dry. Looked like a fire burned the area about 5-10 years ago and nothing but dense thorny brush on both banks for the 3-4 miles we traveled up river. There use to be nice big spruce to camp under. Now it's just mud, brush and no fish! Did the natives net it out or just bad timing due to low water conditions? Anybody find good fishing there in the last few years?

Many things have changed since the 80s... and, personally, I wouldn't throw blame on natives for any of it.

I was up there a couple years ago and landed dozens, with several over 40".
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

That is good to hear. It must be the low water conditions. I only mentioned the gillnet possibility because I was there when a local pulled his net after a 30 min soak at the mouth and he had +or- 30 fish the largest was about 20lbs. Real nice older guy from Stevens. If you caught them that recently then that's good, they r still around just my bad timing. Maybe I'll try Minto next

Quote Originally Posted by Predator Control View Post
    That is good to hear. It must be the low water conditions. I only mentioned the gillnet possibility because I was there when a local pulled his net after a 30 min soak at the mouth and he had +or- 30 fish the largest was about 20lbs. Real nice older guy from Stevens. If you caught them that recently then that's good, they r still around just my bad timing. Maybe I'll try Minto next
    The winter spear fishing has really taken a toll on the Minto Pike. Not at all like it once was, sorry to say it, but true.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I witnessed the winter pike slaughter that occured under the cloak of "subsistence fishery" at the confluence of goldstream and Chatenika river in Minto Flats about 10 years ago. It wasn't spearing, just hook and line but there was hundreds and hundreds of filleted pike backbones strewn on the ice for 1/4 mile. It was a group of guys from Fairbanks that hauled sled loads of meat home. I took pictures to fish and game and they knew all about it and they even knew the peoples names who were doing it but it was all legal! The fish and game board manages our fish and game in ways I can't see the logic. They restrict summer time rod and reel boat fisherman to a few fish with size limits and I think that's OK. But then open it up to unlimited catch all you want after ice up when all the fish are consentrated in a few areas. I'm baffled by these rules they come up with. It may be different now I don't know hopefully they fixed it. But that's the way it was. Winter spear fishing is work. Cutting the big hole though the ice. Then you need daylight for visability and water clarity to see. Also need a dark spear house to set up. I've done it here and its fun but it takes lots of ambition to do. I think the number of people that would do all that would be small.