Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Reloading barnes ttsx bullets

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    731

    Default Reloading barnes ttsx bullets

    Wanted to relate my recent experience loading up some barnes bullets. This is for a sako 300 win mag.
    Loaded up some 175's and seated them out to 0.05 off the lands to start with various charges of RL22.
    The results were short of fabulous with 50 yard groups anywhere from 1 to 2.5 inches. Not what i expected.

    Did some reading on several other forums where the trick seemed to seat them very deep like down so the top groove is barely showing or half covered up by the neck.
    At 0.30 off the lands, it puts them in the same hole at 50. The groups shrunk the deeper i went until i hit 0.30.
    Hope this saves somebody some effort on loading up the barnes. If you are seating farther out than saami spec with bad results try going deeper and see what happens.

  2. #2
    Member Blue Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North of Anchor Pt
    Posts
    682

    Default

    I just loaded some up with 70gr of rl22. Case trimmed to 2.61. COAL was at3.34. I have not had a chance to try them out yet so idea how they will work. What did you end up with COAL? Did you crimp the case to hold the bullet. Heard stories of the recoil moving the bullets in the mag when a round is fired if case not crimped. I have not had a problem with this but could see where it could happen if the neck is not sized properly.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    731

    Default

    I am at 3.39 on my last batch. I did not crimp , did full length resize.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    352

    Default

    I have been playing around with the 175 LRX in my 308. It is an Obermeyer chamber which works well with the long bullets. I too have found them to group well seated off the lands. I have never used the Barnes bullets in the field. You have any insight about how they perform out of the non-"supermagnum" chamberings? I am wondering if I can push them fast enough to work of if I should drop down to 168's or 150's...or just stick with Partitions? Too many choices these days.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    I have been playing around with the 175 LRX in my 308. It is an Obermeyer chamber which works well with the long bullets. I too have found them to group well seated off the lands. I have never used the Barnes bullets in the field. You have any insight about how they perform out of the non-"supermagnum" chamberings? I am wondering if I can push them fast enough to work of if I should drop down to 168's or 150's...or just stick with Partitions? Too many choices these days.
    The box usually lists minimum velocity for expansion, you should be able to calculate your max range from that. I don't know if the soften up the LRX like Mosler has done with the long range accubonds.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    Wanted to relate my recent experience loading up some barnes bullets. This is for a sako 300 win mag.
    Loaded up some 175's and seated them out to 0.05 off the lands to start with various charges of RL22.
    The results were short of fabulous with 50 yard groups anywhere from 1 to 2.5 inches. Not what i expected.

    Did some reading on several other forums where the trick seemed to seat them very deep like down so the top groove is barely showing or half covered up by the neck.
    At 0.30 off the lands, it puts them in the same hole at 50. The groups shrunk the deeper i went until i hit 0.30.
    Hope this saves somebody some effort on loading up the barnes. If you are seating farther out than saami spec with bad results try going deeper and see what happens.
    I have had great luck with .375 250gr and .22 62gr TTSX at standard book COAL, never had to move from there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Barnes has recommended seating them 50 thousandths from the lands to start with for many years. You just gotta experiment to find the sweet spot. I've got em to shoot good in 6 rifles.

    Do I seat TSX bullets .030 inch to .070 inch from the lands, starting at .050 inch off the lands, as recommended with other X-style bullets?
    Yes. All-copper TSX Bullets typically give better accuracy when seated off the lands and grooves (the rifling in the barrel).

    http://www.barnesbullets.com/faq/

  8. #8
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sep View Post
    Barnes has recommended seating them 50 thousandths from the lands to start with for many years. You just gotta experiment to find the sweet spot. I've got em to shoot good in 6 rifles.

    Do I seat TSX bullets .030 inch to .070 inch from the lands, starting at .050 inch off the lands, as recommended with other X-style bullets?
    Yes. All-copper TSX Bullets typically give better accuracy when seated off the lands and grooves (the rifling in the barrel).

    http://www.barnesbullets.com/faq/
    +1,, Another trick with TSXs is to seat them so the last groove is just inside the case. This has always been a good place to start and tweak them from there.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  9. #9
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    +1,, Another trick with TSXs is to seat them so the last groove is just inside the case. This has always been a good place to start and tweak them from there.
    My experience matches with yours steve. I use em in my 06 and .270 win. I did have some great results with the 130s with .5 inch groups at 100 yards. I don't my data readily handy I'll have to go dig it out.



    Release Lake Trout

  10. #10
    Member shphtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    Of all the different bullets that I load, almost without exception TTSX/TSX bullets end up the most accurate. RL22 is one of the best if not the best powder for the 300 WM. I have had outstanding success with both of the above in several 300 WM that I load for. I am anxious to try the new RL23 but to date have been unable to locate a local supply.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •