Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ds203

Default Ds203

I am having second thoughts about this hunt I am going on. My partner can't go since she will be 6 months pregnant so I was going to go in alone. We were looking at several areas and around black rapids, jagged boulder plataue and riley creek. We are planning on going down this weekend to look around and see if we can spot anyting and check out some of the other areas also. If anyone has any information on going in alone or what to expect it would be very much appreciated. This is my first sheep hunt and I am excited but also worried with all the bad things that I have heard about happening. I am ready to make a long hike but will deffinatley be taking it slow. Thnaks guys and I will keep re-reading all the previous post about this area. Hope you all have a safe and successful season.

Adam

While I haven't hunted solo for sheep, I've taken several moose solo and do lots of solo trips up high for deer both early and late in the year. Biggest difference compared to having two hunters is that you will need to make more conservative choices on weight, how far you go in, and how far you can expect to pack one out.

Another option is to try to find someone who simply wants to go, or maybe even has the same tag and had a partner drop out etc.

Just cuz you go hunting, does not mean you need to shoot something. In my mind solo camping trips are extremely enjoyable affairs, solo shooting trips are where things get tough. I wouldn't cancel because of the solo thing.....that's a coveted tag and the experience alone would be a trophy in my mind.

I went in solo on my 204 tag twice last year. As was mentioned above, the key is conservative decision making. I had to turn around on my first plan (would have continued if with a partner, but I judged the risk to be too high), pulled out early on my second plan when the snow got too heavy and the conditions dicey, then lucked into a great ram on my second, last-chance walk in a short distance from the highway hunt on the second to last day of the season. If you feel competent in the mountains, give it a go, play it conservatively, and enjoy that awesome area!

I went out and checked the area some yesterday from the road just looking at possible access points to different areas. Couldn't do much spotting since the haze and smoke were pretty bad. The area that I was looking at going into on the black rapids side wasn't to bad after I figure out a good spot to cross the river. That river kind of worries me since all I have is a 15 foot canoe. I was also looking at possible points along the ruby, bear and other small creek drainages to get up into the mountains and then cross over into the Jarvis creek area. Have any of you all done this hunt in that manner. I am going to go out next weekend and check areas down the Alaskan highway side and see how that looks also. I know I am doing this kind of late in the game but with my work I still am not even guaranteed the leave I put in for the two weeks of the season so I might have to end up doing a few weekend hunts and hope for the best.

Brian would it be possible to pm you a few questions about your hunt? I appreciate the advice and help I have received so far from this great site.

I have not hunted this area but I do have an old sheep hunting nut/friend that has been into the Black Rapids area and did cross the river. PM me with your phone number and I will try and put you in touch with him. I feel sure that the info he can share with will prob be very helpful.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Quote Originally Posted by tightlywound1 View Post
    Brian would it be possible to pm you a few questions about your hunt? I appreciate the advice and help I have received so far from this great site.
    Surely, with the caveat that the specific area I hunted was shared with me and I don't feel the freedom to talk too specifically about that. Can certainly help with some general info and stuff I figured out, though.

shphtr your inbox is full but my number is 907-799-9949 thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Surely, with the caveat that the specific area I hunted was shared with me and I don't feel the freedom to talk too specifically about that. Can certainly help with some general info and stuff I figured out, though.
    It's a drawing hunt..........the person who "shared" with you can only hunt it if they draw. Not like every Tom Dick and Harry will be out there. Is this person hoping to keep other draw hunters out of this area just in case he/she should draw again some day?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    It's a drawing hunt..........the person who "shared" with you can only hunt it if they draw. Not like every Tom Dick and Harry will be out there. Is this person hoping to keep other draw hunters out of this area just in case he/she should draw again some day?
    I understand how Brian feels, and that kind of thing is appreciated. I'll share fishing info at will if I found it, same with hunting spots. But if someone else trusted me with their honey hole, it's going to the grave with me.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Perhaps they can't hunt it this year, Mike, but they can share that info with somebody else this year if they so choose. Perhaps they'll draw the tag again next year and choose to hunt it. Or perhaps none of that will happen. Regardless, it's not my information to share. I don't recall being specifically asked to keep it close to the chest, but in my view that is simply common courtesy with such information.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Regardless, it's not my information to share. I don't recall being specifically asked to keep it close to the chest, but in my view that is simply common courtesy with such information.
    Well then, Brian, as supreme moderator for AOD could you enlighten us on WHEN and WHEN NOT "information" is ours to share?

As far as this being a "honey hole" this spot, or area, is already protected from the masses by the requirement of having a draw permit. Not only is it a draw area, but it is part of DCUA so anyone with the permit has to WALK from the Richardson, Denali, or Alaska Highways.

How did the person who "shared" with you, Brian, come in to this information? Was it "shared" with him from someone else? Did he luck in to a sheep nirvana when he had the permit?
    This is a new concept to me. I understand keeping quiet about favorite hunting spots in areas open to the masses. But not sharing info about a drawing hunt?
    I have freely shared info about access and hunting spots in draw permit areas I am familiar with (none of them are for sheep) in the past. I'll have to revise my thinking.
    Looking for instruction here, Brian, on just how selfi......I mean generous........ we should be!

Mike, I'm not sure what I said to bother you, but nowhere did I suggest that others should follow any sort of standard. Just making a personal choice here. I've freely shared information on here more times than I can count, and I've been the recipient of such info as well. I choose not to share that which was shared with me, though, unless I'm given encouragement to. I didn't suggest for a moment that others should do likewise.

I understand Brian's commitment to keep such information to himself since I have had friends show me spots that they like to hunt and fish and asked me to not spill the beans. I have had friends loose great hunting spots just by having their wife say that they got a ram out on so and so mountain and the next year there were a ton of guys out there hunting it. He works hard and is a traditionalist bow hunter so he has to work a lot harder to get so close to his quarry. I asked Brian some questions about general areas within the DCUA that I was already looking at and his thoughts on how to best access them. My main area I am looking at is very hard and dangerous for a guy that is going in solo so I was asking his approach and the idea of hunting for 2 weeks straight or breaking up the hunt.

Each person has their own morals and ethics when it comes to being trusted with information and it is their choice to share or not. There is no need to start an argument over this.

I too respect Brian's decision not to discuss specifics. I hunted DS203 in 2013 and shared by knowledge with another in 2014 thinking I would never be back. Now in 2015, I have the opportunity to take a friend into DS203 again. It makes me wonder if my shared knowledge has been passed around to others. I don't know because I did not ask the person I told to keep it to themselves. Whether they did or did not is irrelevant to my respect of Brian's decision. It shows his true character.

I'll add a little regarding the option to hunt solo as well. It can be done, but as was stated before, the biggest factor to keep in mind is your own comfort/confidence level. Being solo, you don't have anyone immediately there to save your butt if things go south. You need to be aware of this and evaluate the risk of each maneuver appropriately. Knowledge of self preservation and extraction techniques are paramount. Understanding, familiarity, and confidence in your gear is huge. Same goes for your physical and mental abilities as well. Hiking into the mountains is exhausting enough; hiking out after a successful harvest is another.

My first solo sheep hunt was a walk-in hunt last fall (Late season Chugach archery). I learned a lot and am happy to discuss it with you if you'd like. As I mentioned, I have a little DS203 knowledge as well if you want to talk about that as well, but I will be slightly reserved in some details as I anticipating being back in there this fall. PM me if you'd like!

Quote Originally Posted by tightlywound1 View Post
    and the next year there were a ton of guys out there hunting it.
    There is no need to start an argument over this.
    Again, this is a DRAW hunt. No matter how many hunters know of this area, or the special area Brian apparently knows of, there will NOT be a ton of guys there when the season opens. The whole purpose of a draw hunt is to limit the number of hunters, and thus the harvest, of the draw area.
    I don't see this as an argument. I'm questioning the idea of having a secret spot inside a draw hunt area and not sharing that spot with one or more of the hunters who, this year, have that particular permit.
    I am bothered by this idea. I had a Delta Bison, well my daughter had, for the 2013/14 hunt. I have shared locations and property owners names since that hunt, to other tag holders. Perhaps I erred and the proper idea is to keep as many other hunters from being successful in hopes that when I may draw the tag again, there will be more for me.
    The DCUA area is not that big. Accessing it on foot, it appears, is limited to a hunters ability and time and all the other factors that effect a hunt. it would seem likely that despite not having secret information, some hunters would end up in Brians' (well I guess it isn't Brians') secret spot.
    I need to reconsider sharing information on this site. Obviously, it might in some way result in there being less animals for me to shoot in the future!

Brian, in post #6 you state that you don't want to talk too specifically about the area you hunted. Apparently there is something special about this area, compared to the rest of the 203/204 area that you feel the need to keep quiet about it. Would that be correct?

Brian-I have successfully harvested an old double broomed ram from the DCUA the exact location I choose to be pretty closed lipped about as there were 3-5 40" rams in there at any one time. I can and do empathize with your sentiments and support same.

Tightlywound-I have cleared some room in my in box and will try and call tonight when I get home. The individual I know that has hunted the Black Rapids area was hunting solo. From what I remember he did see plenty of sheep. He did have a problem with the river crossing but came up with a solution perhaps you can use.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Brian, in post #6 you state that you don't want to talk too specifically about the area you hunted. Apparently there is something special about this area, compared to the rest of the 203/204 area that you feel the need to keep quiet about it. Would that be correct?
    Not entirely. As you state, it's not that large of an area and there aren't really any true secrets. The two areas I hunted were both pretty awesome and at least on the first hunt I wasn't alone, but the uniqueness or loneliness of the area is somewhat beside the point - it's simply not my information to share. I had precious little time to scout and to hunt last year, and two friends were incredibly generous with sharing access info. I am indebted to them and do not presume that it is my privilege to freely share the same info. Again, I have and will continue to share information on hunt areas - both draw and harvest ticket - so long as I feel that I learned the information through my own due diligence. If you'd like some help with Kenai Peninsula black bear, Unit 13 or Kenai Mountains caribou, 14C sheep, and a few other areas, I'd be happy to help you out, Mike.

Personally, I respect Brian's self-imposed personal boundary of not sharing information that was shared with him. Sounds trustworthy to me...

Nothing wrong with having a secret spot...hunting or fishing...that you don't feel like sharing info about it...
    "Grin and Bear It"

I hunt and fish in a few honey holes that I'd share locations with everyone. The locations don't show up on any map (we made up the names) so I'm not worried about telling people that we pulled 4 legal rams out of the canyon Milk and Honey in 2 years. Also that if spooked out of Milk and Honey they go over the top into Soggy Monkey Canyon. Which by the way holds the granddaddy ram that my buddy missed 6 times. It's on video. As far as locations of these two drainages... Not a chance. A guy I learned to hunt moose with a few years ago took me into his honey hole and never asked me to keep it a secret but like Brian I'm internally sworn to secrecy. That's the way I'm programmed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast