Thread: Browning BAR Safai II/ Scope mount questions.

Default Browning BAR Safai II/ Scope mount questions.

Hello all, I have the above referenced firearm in .338 caliber. The rifle is equiped with front and rear sights.I would like to mount QD rings/bases. Anyone with experience know if a Leupold Vari X 3 3.5x10x40 will clear the rear sight? Do I need low or medium height rings. Does the rear sight have to be removed ? If the rear sight has to be removed I will not use QD rings/bases. What about a Leupold Vari X 3 2.5x8x36 will this be a better set up with the iron sights ? Thank-you all in advance for your anwers.

Joseph

Usually only scopes that don't have an objective bell on the front of the scope will allow mounting on a BAR without removing the rear sight. Such as the Leupold 1-4X or 1.5-5x. For whatever reason Browning insists on mounting the rear sight too close to the receiver to clear most scopes.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Thanks for the reply gunbugs. What do you prefer a one piece base or two piece. If I remove the rear sight,should I use low or medium rings for Leupold Vari X3 3.5x10x40 scope?

The Leupold 2 piece should work fine with Medium rings. I'm not positive that it will clear the barrel in lows, but you could give it a try.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."