Thread: HJ 212 Cutlass Bearing

Default HJ 212 Cutlass Bearing

Ok, looking for someone who may have replaced the cutlass bearing on their HJ212. I'm getting ready to remove the backend, bucket etc but understand the bearing will need to be cut out unless you have the puller, well I do not. I've talked to a few boat shops and they can do it but about 2 weeks out. So anyone, Tips, techniques? Thanks!

Do you know with puller you need, if you do you could buy one. Most bearing puller are not that expensive or you might be able to barrow one.

Picture of the bearing, and the tool would help in giving you better advice on how to remove it.

I spoke to Hamilton and they said it is a type of J-puller?. I have multiple bearing pullers but none even come close to what this thing looks like. I could purchase one for, oh about $1400 from them.....Don't think so! I've seen a few homemade pullers on line that individuals have welded together but you have to have the material and welder to do this, and if not done right, they say it's very easy to mess up the housing. The boat shops I've spoken to said it's easier to cut it out but you have to use a long hacksaw blade by itself to be able to get it in the opening, by hand, and cut a wedge out of it. This usually takes 2-3 hrs.

Thought I read a post somewhere on how you could heat it up and drive it out with a socket? It's held in with Loctite as I recall.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I'd bet if you could use Freon or something like that to cool it quickly then it would shrink just enough to pull out a lot easier. but if it's held in with something like Loctite then that's a different story. Need to find an old halon fire extinguisher... LOL
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Or another option would to make a slide hammer with some washers on all thread and something heavy to use as a slide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Take a hacksaw blade and cut it out. Easy pezy, no big deal. You would have to take a couple coffee breaks for it to take 2-3 hours.

I changed all mine in my 3-stage in 30 minutes. Made two cuts with a sawzall and then it came right out with a couple taps with a hammer.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be fishing!"