Thread: Capsized boat right outside the Whittier Harbor - Friday 6/26

Default Capsized boat right outside the Whittier Harbor - Friday 6/26

Does anyone know what happened with the capsized boat right outside the harbor in Whittier on Friday morning around 9:30am? We headed out that morning and not too long after we hear all sorts of commotion on the radio about a capsized boat by the sheetpile wall right outside the harbor, 5 people in the water, etc. We could only hear the Coast Guard side of the conversation most of the the time but sounded like they got 4 out of the water pretty quickly but the last person was trapped under the boat. Boat on scene said they were alive but they couldn't overturn the boat, Coast Guard was sending a helicopter and a boat and Whittier was sending a diver. We heard a general broadcast from the Coast Guard on 16 about an hour after it started saying the last person had been recovered. I can't find anything in the news about it and was wondering if the last person made it, that's a long time in the water...

I was at the fuel dock when they came in with the boat tied off to a big tender. The people were all in the Shore Side office. They left port and got outside the harbor and realized they were taking on water and couldn't get the bilge pumps to work. Called for help and they went in the drink. One guy got captured under the boat and couldn't make it out. They pulled the other people out of the water and took them back to the fuel dock and then went back out to get the other guy. Not sure how they got him exactly but he was in the water for about 45 minutes. They looked cold and shook up. Not much detail as to what they think caused them to take on water. They were working on getting the upside down boat situated in the harbor when I left. all you could see was about 6 feet of the upside down bow so not sure how big or what kind of boat it was.

We came back in Saturday from Knight and it was sloppy, wet and sporty....
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Wow, no good. So he survived? I was thinking the worst based on that time in the water. Btw, you ran right past us on the water Saturday morning. We were right outside Eshamy Bay trying to pick up some fish, you came out of the bay headed towards Knight. We're a 28ft Kingfisher, Tundra Rose II. Your boat looked great slamming through the water!

Quote Originally Posted by SewellGT View Post
    Wow, no good. So he survived? I was thinking the worst based on that time in the water. Btw, you ran right past us on the water Saturday morning. We were right outside Eshamy Bay trying to pick up some fish, you came out of the bay headed towards Knight. We're a 28ft Kingfisher, Tundra Rose II. Your boat looked great slamming through the water!
    Yeah, looked like they were all okay just shook up.

It was sporty!! I knew it was gonna get a little lumpy based on the water and wind in Eshamy. I was wondering if you guys were stopping to fish. We had tried right there the night before and didn't pick anything up so we decided to head over to Knight thinking it would be calmer along the West shore. Wrong! When we left and headed North the water got worse so I stayed east and didn't make an attempt at Nelly.... Whoa Nelly!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Yeah, looked like they were all okay just shook up.

It was sporty!! I knew it was gonna get a little lumpy based on the water and wind in Eshamy. I was wondering if you guys were stopping to fish. We had tried right there the night before and didn't pick anything up so we decided to head over to Knight thinking it would be calmer along the West shore. Wrong! When we left and headed North the water got worse so I stayed east and didn't make an attempt at Nelly.... Whoa Nelly!
    Good to hear, lucky!

It was definitely sporty. We hung out there for an hour or so and picked up some rockfish and then headed up to Main Bay to try for some reds. I knew when we were surfing the waves into Main it was going to be sketchy heading the other way. Sure enough, we left about an hour later and things had picked up even more, had 5-6 footers breaking over the bow. We quartered into them out towards Perry and then flipped around and rode them down past Applegate and hung into Culross for a much needed break. Coming out the other end back towards Whittier wasn't nearly as bad.

Swiped these photos from a friend of a friend on Facebook. More to come on second post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Two more photos... that is all I have and the post on FB says all survived and went to hospital in Anchorage. I sent these to the ADN a day after it happened as a news tip....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Great to see that kind of response! Be interesting to hear what happened.