Thread: Dipnet the Kuskokwim?

Question Dipnet the Kuskokwim?

So dipping is allowed under federal subsistence for non-king species on the kuskokwim. I have heard of folks having limited success in some areas. We have tried a couple times below Bethel but haven't ventured upriver yet. So far we've been skunked. I have been told that the kusko is too clear to dipnet due to not having glacial silt. I've dipped the copper before. We have a 2x4 going across the bow of the boat with ropes on the end tied off to the hoop to stabilize the nets as we drift. Wondering if anyone else here has any experience with dipnets on the kusko. Am I wasting my time?

Thanks,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by woodman6437 View Post
    So dipping is allowed under federal subsistence for non-king species on the kuskokwim. I have heard of folks having limited success in some areas. We have tried a couple times below Bethel but haven't ventured upriver yet. So far we've been skunked. I have been told that the kusko is too clear to dipnet due to not having glacial silt. I've dipped the copper before. We have a 2x4 going across the bow of the boat with ropes on the end tied off to the hoop to stabilize the nets as we drift. Wondering if anyone else here has any experience with dipnets on the kusko. Am I wasting my time?

Thanks,
    Nick
    Don't know about the Kusko...someone posted amazing video of dipnetting the Yukon though in years past.

Article on KYUK: http://kyuk.org/kuskokwim-residents-learning-to-dipnet/

Article on ADN: http://www.adn.com/article/20140726/...-not-kuskokwim

I've heard about it working great on the Yukon. Wondering if there is a reason that it would work up there but not down on the kusko.

.. WHY drift you should be under power [ a little ] to have the bag bellow out behind the ring, also foe some reason you will have to find out the path
    the salmon fallow . there is no one directing these fish but they know where to go in the river . an fallow the same trail I think also the color of your net
    could be causing a problem [ NO BLACK ] tan or white only . SID
    PS I don't know about green ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    .. WHY drift you should be under power [ a little ] to have the bag bellow out behind the ring...
    I wondered the same at the Copper and have tried it both ways: Kenai-style roped off to the bow under power, and Copper-style drifting. Turns out at the Copper that the current, hydraulics, and heavy water make it MUCH more work trying to do it under power. I took a fellow out (before I realized this) who was used to drifting, and had him fish under power. He basically said, "I'm sorry. Your method is too much work."

He also assured me that I would probably be able to fish by myself if I just did it drift style, which turned out to be true. No way could I fish the Copper by myself in the boat, trying to do it under power with the pole tied off to the bow.

Don't know how the Kusko compares to the Copper current-wise. If you can find the fish like Sid said, try it both ways with gill net.

aaaaannnnndddd.........kusko closed to dipnetting. Not sure why, I could count the number of fish caught in a dipnet on the kusko on my hands.