Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is your moose spot on fire?

Default Is your moose spot on fire?

With all these fires how many of you are having to change plans for this years moose hunt? I know my area is on fire and now looking for a plan B. All I can think is in a few years it will be epic hunting.

The area west of here in GMU 21 that I hunted last year has a fire or 2. Not the whole area. I have the same draw permit for this year (it was available "over the counter").
    Not likely that the moose will be that far off I'm thinkin!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I know some of DM 406 (wife and daughters moose permit area) went up in flames how much of it I don't know. Same as others have said in a few yrs those areas should be great moose hunting for sure.

All you 'cold camp' hunters can rest easy out there this year, moose will be used to the smell of smoke by hunting season, keep warm!
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Yes
    But I'll go anyway as it has burned before.

The fires aren't getting any coverage in the lower 48. Is there a site that shows the locations?

Found this: http://afsmaps.blm.gov/imf_fire/imf.jsp?site=fire

Good luck to all. Stay safe.

Default Modis Active Fire Map

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/acti...&extent=alaska Click on the "jpeg image" to the right in the Currant Map box, you can also zoom in on the map, or choose wherever you want to look for fires in the U.S. Looks like there's lots of fires alright.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Grin and Bear It"

UAF also has a map using data directly from the AICC (including notes). If you've ever used Google Maps, you know how to use this one: http://smoke.arsc.edu/current_fires.html. Updated throughout the day.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

This one is the best. Find the fire, and then look for its map (2 pages of fires):
    http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/state/2/

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    This one is the best. Find the fire, and then look for its map (2 pages of fires):
    http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/state/2/
    Inciweb is a nice national summary page, but it's not all inclusive, and the GIS data that feeds it for Alaska fires originates here: http://afsmaps.blm.gov/imf_fire/imf.jsp?site=fire
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Inciweb is a nice national summary page, but it's not all inclusive, and the GIS data that feeds it for Alaska fires originates here: http://afsmaps.blm.gov/imf_fire/imf.jsp?site=fire
    You are correct, but the one I posted above is a lot simpler and easy to print. The one at UAF (link by another poster), is also a good one, since it's being created by the fire directors in their command center area at the MBS Rec. Center of UAF. The fire crews coming in and out are at UAF.

I should have said that I find it simpler to use and to print. I just find the fire I am interested on, then go to maps, and print the one I want.

You are correct, but the one I posted above is a lot simpler and easy to print. The one at UAF (link by another poster), is also a good one, since it's being created by the fire directors in their command center area at the MBS Rec. Center of UAF. The fire crews coming in and out are at UAF.
    Just trying to be helpful. Yes, inciweb is more user friendly in some respects, but as said, it's not all inclusive, so if you're looking for info on a specific fire in AK you may not find it there. It only lists larger incidents which meet certain criteria for publication. The AICC map lists all active fires in Alaska and is the GIS source for fire perimeters fed to the inciweb page. DOF has an agreement with UAF to use some of their space as a temporary "mobilization center" (staging area) for crews and overhead resources being moved into and out of AK, as well as some expanded logistical dispatch function as necessary, but there is no "command center" at UAF.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Just trying to be helpful. Yes, inciweb is more user friendly in some respects, but as said, it's not all inclusive, so if you're looking for info on a specific fire in AK you may not find it there. It only lists larger incidents which meet certain criteria for publication. The AICC map lists all active fires in Alaska and is the GIS source for fire perimeters fed to the inciweb page. DOF has an agreement with UAF to use some of their space as a temporary "mobilization center" (staging area) for crews and overhead resources being moved into and out of AK, as well as some expanded logistical dispatch function as necessary, but there is no "command center" at UAF.
    Yes, there is a mobile command center operating at the MBS's Rec. Center. Also, UAF has drones assisting with fire locations and such.

Some of the maps you see are also being designed at UAF:
    http://www.newsminer.com/science_and...3b0b93212.html

Well, I have no idea if it is a "command," but whatever it is called spells as, MOB (maybe mobility operation base?). Anyway the whole recreation center, which is a large place, is line-up with computers and screens, maps, and the rest. The fire crews are being housed at Moore and Bartlett Halls, plus one of the lower-campus dormitories.

The fires I am interested on are not the small ones, but the larger ones that are burning the places we spend time hunting, primarily the fires at the Elliott and Steese highways. So far there is a large fire at the area I hunt, but at the other side of the ridge. No idea how that will affect hunting this year, but my hunting friends and plan to spend a couple of weeks hunting/camping in that area as long as the fire does not move over the ridge to the opposite side.

Well, I have no idea if it is a "command," but whatever it is called spells as, MOB (maybe mobility operation base?). Anyway the whole recreation center, which is a large place, is line-up with computers and screens, maps, and the rest. The fire crews are being housed at Moore and Bartlett Halls, plus one of the lower-campus dormitories.
    "MOB" is a shorthand acronym used by dispatchers which means "mobilization". The opposite being DEMOB... The university is being used by DOF as a "MOB center", (a staging area for crews and overhead being mob'd and demob'd to/from/around interior Alaska). It is also being used as an expanded logistics dispatch center (the logistical dispatch function responsible for moving resources (crews and overhead personnel in this case) around from one fire to another). There are no tactical decisions being made there, such as would be associated with a "command center".
    #Resist

I personally know of people shooting moose in areas that have burned that very year. They are right where they would normally be. Vegetation stats to grow back amazingly quickly. The burn would have to still be burning to get me to change locations.

Quote Originally Posted by MNnowAK View Post
    I personally know of people shooting moose in areas that have burned that very year. They are right where they would normally be. Vegetation stats to grow back amazingly quickly. The burn would have to still be burning to get me to change locations.
    I like hunting in fresh burn areas for elk in the lower 48 as the hunting is usually petty good.
    I fail to see why it wouldn't be the same for moose.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

We are also looking at alternate plans and can't decide how good or bad the local fires might be. We are in a wait and see mode.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast