Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charter hit rock Homer

Default Charter hit rock Homer

I had a friend and her family that was out of Homer with Northwest Charters (not sure of the name) and they hit a rock, putting a big hole in the boat. Called for help, some boats responded, one had a diver on board, went down and got something stuffed in hole and slowed down water. They had been bailing with 5 gal buckets. All clients were transferred to an other boat and brought back to Homer. The boat was towed back also. All this info is second hand as I have not been able to talk to my friend yet, her and family are headed home to Anchorage. Part of the story was they could not go out to where the trip was scheduled because of 15' seas. Hard to believe as water flat in my area. They were trying to hide but still do some fishing when they hit the rock, under 200 yds off shore. Do not know where, or if this happened yesterday or today.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Ouch. Glad everyone was alright. It's crazy how many uncharted rocks there are out there. Must have been a scary situation for them all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Have you ever noticed that no-one ever has any empathy for the "ROCK". No-one ever say's, "Did the rock SUFFER".........???? Did the rock have any children, did the rock have any family or friends".......??? "Where do we sent flowers for the rock"........??? Can we get a government grant to to fix the rock to it's previous glory, before it was attacked by a terrorist boat........??? "Is it true that the terrorist boat was, in-fact and "ASSAULT" evil black semi-auto boat".......????

Insanity is not very pain-full...."YET"..........

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Have you ever noticed that no-one ever has any empathy for the "ROCK". No-one ever say's, "Did the rock SUFFER".........???? Did the rock have any children, did the rock have any family or friends".......??? "Where do we sent flowers for the rock"........??? Can we get a government grant to to fix the rock to it's previous glory, before it was attacked by a terrorist boat........??? "Is it true that the terrorist boat was, in-fact and "ASSAULT" evil black semi-auto boat".......????

Insanity is not very pain-full...."YET"..........roud:
    That's deep AGL, makes a guy stop and think
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Yhea, glad nobody got hurt. Please post the gps coordinates for the rock when available...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I had a friend and her family that was out of Homer with Northwest Charters (not sure of the name) and they hit a rock, putting a big hole in the boat. Called for help, some boats responded, one had a diver on board, went down and got something stuffed in hole and slowed down water. They had been bailing with 5 gal buckets. All clients were transferred to an other boat and brought back to Homer. The boat was towed back also. All this info is second hand as I have not been able to talk to my friend yet, her and family are headed home to Anchorage. Part of the story was they could not go out to where the trip was scheduled because of 15' seas. Hard to believe as water flat in my area. They were trying to hide but still do some fishing when they hit the rock, under 200 yds off shore. Do not know where, or if this happened yesterday or today.
    For not knowing much about it and second hand at that you sure are blabbing a bunch of miss information about it. Internet. Got a love it.

whats the story then fishon
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

No new info on this, still trying to contact my friend. Will up date when I can

Be interesting to hear the account from those on the boat. The Huntress saved their bacon, I've heard his version.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Oh wow!! that would definitely be an interesting experience. Good to know that everybody was ok.

Still have not got a call back from my friend, I know she has family in town so she is probably busy. Dave did Josh say where he picked them up?

I don't know who picked up the clients, josh gave them dewatering pumps. Chugach passage.

Finally got to get ahold of my friend and get the true story. The first info,2 thing were wrong, boat name and not 15' sea, they were talking about the wind. They were in a 6 pack charter, running up on step off the southeast corner of Elizabeth about 100 yards off shore. They hit what the capt said was submurged log, but friend said she is sure it was a rock as she has been in boats that have hit logs and this was too hard of a hit and solid, plus there was a couple of other rocks showing very close. It was low tide. Started taking on water and the boat did not have or it was not working bilge pump. Capt. started calling for help and her brother started bailing with a 5 gal bucket. First boat was to them in around 5 min and several were there around 10min. The clients were relaid to she thought Josh's boat and then he gave them a portable bilge pump as will as one other boat had another pump. Sound like they tied 4 boats to the sinking boat to try and keep it afloat. A diver did go down to try and plug the hole but it did not work. The 2 pumps finally was able to pump off enough water that it was kind of floating on it's own. The sister boat of the sinking boat showed up and took the clients. The damaged boat was towed to a sand beach close by and beached. Sounds like there was 10 to 12 boats that showed up for assistance, which is great. She said her brother knows exactly where they were at and he will try and get the numbers for the location. She said that they were very lucky for all the other boats and help that showed up. 2 of the clients were elderly and did not know how to swim and afraid of the water.

Charterboat Operator

wow, scary thing for sure.
    but what is really impressive is the brotherhood of fello charter captains, and i'm sure private anglers as well, to stop all they were doing an help.

Glad everybody made it out ok. Charter captains are rather tired this time of the year, and get a client yapping in your ear it could be easy to get distracted and do something stupid.

Stay safe out there.

Did anyone get the coordinates of the rock?

Quote Originally Posted by Mubhad24 View Post
    ...coordinates of the rock?
    That's important! Charts for nearshore waters are somewhere between notoriously bad to nonexistent. We do a whole lot of shallow stuff around rocks, and almost none are on the charts. Even after getting to know an area, there always seem to be a few "sneakers" that we overlooked. Our GPS is bleeding with marks I've added, and i still get a surprise almost every trip.

I have not heard anything from my friend on the numbers. I will try and follow up. Not sure if she has a chart or just a map.

Okay she sent me a picture of a chart with the rock marked with cross hairs. I can not get it to post here from my IPad. If some one could tell me how to do it or can I email the picture to some one that can post it here for me. There is no numbers for location but you can tell where it is in the mouth of Port Chatham.

All i have to say is that no EXPERIENCED charter operator would have been running that close to the rocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast