Thread: Surface Silvers?

Default Surface Silvers?

Hi guys, I am trying to find a spot that might be worth it to throw gurglers/floating patterns for Coho. It's something I've never done even though I grew up fishing AK. This year I will be back home the last week of August and first week of September. I am limited to Parks Highway & Kenai Peninsula. I do have boat access on Kenai and some Su tribs, but will also be wading a lot. Is there anywhere in these areas that's worth trying to get a coho to crush a gurgler? I might just die happy if I saw that....I'm not looking for honey holes obviously, just general info on whether or not it's worth it to try it on Montana, Willow, Kenai, etc...

Plus I really want an excuse to tie a neon pink gurgler
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

Can't help with specific spots cuzz I don't know the area. But it's worth pointing out that topwater silvers is more situational than any specific location. The fish have to be relaxed and kinda hanging around, not being bombed by your dozen new best friends. Early/late in the day, fish fairly close to the surface and kinda lazing around. Backwaters, slough mouths, slow eddies and lakes are all prime spots.

One other point worth passing along:

Don't get all horked up about pink. It doesn't work on the surface any more often than below. Some days it's good and some days not. Other colors work as well on top as they do below. You can also get a clue about surface flies from what's working at the moment below. Great day for black and green down below? You know what color surface flies to use.

The times I have had cohos slam my fly on the surface was when they fresh off the high tide...

Two years ago in Montana creek I had silvers chasing flys thru crowds of pinks to almost beach them selves taking it. Front row seat watching jaws kill flys. Amazing
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

BrownBears advice is solid. Find relaxed silvers, and skate away. The mouths of Montana and Sheep Creeks have good potential for topwater coho, if they are there and at ease. Definitely worth a shot and definitely have some skaters in the flybox on your trip.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Heard of people going up 20 mile wogging for silvers, no personal experience

they have a late run up 20 mile still running in 15 Oct . in passed years have been there a few times an it is a shallow river used spoons
    an watch them kill it many times SID

I've heard of silvers there, but how is it? I feel like the water would be too silty for them to even see the fly.

you are correct to a point it all depends on where you fish , look at the regs, an where ir branches of the stream up to the closed area is all clear water
    even the mail stream clears up in the fall you need to look around an see what you can find, like now there is a run of REDS up the river an every plase there is a clear stream coming in there will be reds to fish , enjoy SID

It's very rare to see a top water take of any kind with a silver. The only time I have see it is when throwing spinners and they hit s you pull it out of the water. That being said the best chance of getting a top water bite would be with very fresh fish with a herring imitation in the ocean like seward or homer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Silvers are very agressive on the surface. I think it would be fun to use some old school bass lures like hula poppers on them. I have had big silvers beach themselves chasing a skated fly. If you are in tide water the top of the high tide is when they tend to attack on the surface in my experience.

Topwater silvers are like reds that'll actually take a fly- they absolutely exist and aren't uncommon. You just have to search them out, fish some trial and error and be persistent. Calm water, calm fish, low light/low skies, proper presentation and they'll hit. It's not a fill-the-cooler game, so most or many don't try it, and it doesn't happen in those places.