Thread: Copper River

Default Copper River

Just finished the Copper River from the lower Tonsina to mile 36 bridge. Great trip!! Some info on shuttles and pickups. Becky Chapeck with Chinook auto rentals is still in business, but communication was a little sketchy, even after thorough e-mail and phone calls there was almost a mix-up and we were wondering if we were getting a ride. She did show up, however, an provided a great service. Also, the person we lined up to get our vehicles on the ferry flaked out and we found a really awesome individual named John Fowler of Chugach Outfitters near squirrill creek that really hooked us up. He took our vehicle from Squirril creek all the way to Valdez and put it on the ferry for us, and left our trailer locked up in the parking lot. Very solid guy and very reasonably priced for the service, can't say enough good things about him. Also, a huge thank you goes out to the gentlemen building a lodge at the base of miles lake for letting us know that the water level in the channel to flag point was very low, and would likely take days to drag through. I will remember his name and update it accordingly.

Mile 36 bridge is out, so there is no pickup from the million dollar bridge. Mile 36 bridge is a great spot with lots of room to de-rig. Beautiful, very remote feeling, and even though it's flatwater, it was just as amazing as the grand canyon.

Chris

Thanks for the report Chris...someday I'll float the Copper.

Its Luke at the lodge between the Million Dollar Bridge & Childe's Glacier. I didn't catch the name of his Lodge/operation.

Chris, thanks for the writeup.

How long did you take for the float? And it sounds like you had the vehicle shuttled from Valdez to Cordova via ferry? Did the ferry need anything special to allow the car to travel unattended?

I just sent this via PM, but it bounced back saying you had to clear your mailbox.

Thanks

Wonderful trip - I've gone twice in the past 4 yrs and will do so again in August. Thanks for the tip on the Flag Point channel, hasn't been a problem for us in the past, but now I know to be on the lookout. I think I'll start on the Taz this year. Chris, send me a PM. I'd like to talk on the phone if you have a chance.

We (Chris, I and 4 others) floated 4 days, plus 1 travel day on the front end and 2 days on the back end.

Chris knows more about the truck/ferry logistics, but other than getting someone to put it on, and having to be there at midnight to take it off, I dont think there was anything special.

We also talked to some people at the Mile 37 bridge take-out that run an airboat to ferry people across the Copper at the Mile 37 bridge. They also own a B&B outside Cordova on the road to the Million Dollar Bridge at mile 6 or 8 (their name escapes me though). They might also be a good contact. Since they are out at Mile 37 daily, they might even be willing to collect a vehicle off the ferry and bring it out to the takeout with them, which would make things even more convenient.

Default Unattended Ferry

Quote Originally Posted by siddfynch View Post
    Chris, thanks for the writeup.

How long did you take for the float? And it sounds like you had the vehicle shuttled from Valdez to Cordova via ferry? Did the ferry need anything special to allow the car to travel unattended?

I just sent this via PM, but it bounced back saying you had to clear your mailbox.

Thanks
    You can by a ferry ticket for an unattended vehicle. They will need the phone number and name of the person driving it on, and taking it off. The best way to get all the information correctly is to call when you make your reservation, rather than book online.

Chris