Thread: Kodiak - Best road access fishing for 2 with disabilities

Default Kodiak - Best road access fishing for 2 with disabilities

My buddy and I are finally going to make it out to Kodiak the week of 5-July. We are headed out on a charter one day, so I should have some fish to bring home to Chicago. I heard that there is supposed to be some good areas to fish from roadside access, but can't seem to find any real info with details. I have a non 4x4 rental car. Maybe someone can help out with some info. 1) We both have disabilities, and can't wade into the rivers. My legs are partially paralyzed and I slide all over on the rocks. 2) I have no idea what river/creek/shore to go to. We only have 2 days, so don't have a ton of time. 3) Any info on what rigs to use.

Also, how bad are the bear issues? If I push my buddy over, I can probably walk away faster, but still under 1 MPH.

Thanks!

Back to front, bears aren't really an issue on the road system, especially that early. Bud of mine has a full leg brace and lots of extra belly, so he doesn't get around so well. He also rents 2WD sedans. His favorite spots are the pool below the Olds River bridge and down by the mouth of the Olds River, both in Kalsin Bay. The latter is easiest access. Gentle sloping gravel/sand shoreline. My bud just wanders down to the edge of the river with the help of his cane, unfolds a comfy chair and plops. Catches a whole lot of pink salmon. Should be plenty there during your visit.

Dunno where you're staying, but the Olds River Inn is less than a mile away. They have cabins with kitchens for your own breakfasts and lunches, but the best dinners in all of Kodiak by a large margin. They also have guest facilities for cleaning fish. Don't have a clue about cost, but it would sure beat driving an hour each way to and from town to get to the Olds River.

None of the rivers here are real hard to get to or get around on. Olds like Bear said would be some of the easiest. As well, the mouth of Buskin is right in town pretty much and is real easy access. There's a big park there, it's about 60' to the river from the parking lot. High tide you'll catch pinks, dollies and possibly some flounder.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

I would call Stig at "Rambling on the Rock" (907) 942-7820. He grew up and lives there and specializes with road system fishing.

As was said, the Olds is easy access. I would also look at Pasagshak. It's got great easy access as well. And don't overlook the small rivers just outside of town, Sargent, Russian and Salonie. Nice, gentle beaches and parking right next to the rivers. You may actually see bears at these locations, but they're open enough areas that you can see them a ways off if you stay below the bridges, below the highway. These rivers make for decent fishing without having to drive more than a few minutes.

THANK YOU for all of the information. We will be there on Sunday the 5th, heading out a charter with Happy Hooker on Monday. Does anyone have a favorite Bait & Tackle shop in town? I would like to get at least one salmon to take home. If anyone knows an easy place to catch one, let me know.

Thanks again!

Mack's (now Big Ray's) is the tackle spot in town, other than WalMart. Cy's is outside town if you know where "the Flats" are at. Salmon- kings are in and you can stand at the bridges and holes and chuck roe with everyone else. But they're kings, so "easy" isn't always spoke in the same sentence. Pinks are starting in. Caught the biggest pink of my life on Monday. But I'm not seeing them in numbers yet. Another week, we may have decent numbers in for ya. Water levels are decent.

I got the privilege to spend the entire summer last year in Kodiak fishing the road system. I second the Old River Inn . . . very nice place with great food and spirits. The reds are in the Buskin and still counting strong, so when you drive from the airport, taking a right toward town, you'll drive over one of the Buskin river bridges . . . take a left there and drive on the road a couple miles and the river winds back under the road, and when you get to the Y in the road, take the left gravel section, that's where the Buskin runs back to the mouth of buskin lake. Fishing for reds in that straight can be pretty fun -- there is a line where fishing is not allowed just below the lake/counter. As for kings, I learned the American and Olds are best for them . . . if you fish about midnight, or 0400 hrs, they're less spooky. I was fly fishing and landed some from the American. Others landed them below the Olds River bridge by bouncing a herring off the bottom. I wasn't very skilled/lucky at fishing the Pasagshak, but the hogs that come out of that stream! Salt water pinks were also a blast . . . for easy access the mouth of the Buskin is hard to beat, head out at low tide (it can be a stroll to the salt), and as the tide works it's way in, they'll come in knee deep . . . I used a pink articulating leach pattern from Mack's/Big Rays on my 10wt . . . even landed some pinks and reds on my 5/6 . . . again, quite a hoot! If you're using spinners/spoons, go smaller than you'd think. Mack's should get you on the right ones . . . for Kings #4 vibrax (maybe #5) work pretty well. For pinks #3 vibrax . . . or med or small pixies work also. The reds can be caught on spinning or bait casting gear . . . get krill pattern fly or 8 with various weights, 12-15 lb leader 2-4 ft long and floss away. In any event, enjoy the charter and your time on the island . . . it's a unique and special place.