Thread: Anyone fished Rocky Bay out of Homer?

Default Anyone fished Rocky Bay out of Homer?

I was checking out the charts and noticed some interesting structure at Rocky Bay, near Gore Pt. anyone been out there lately?

Never been there by boat.

When the logging road from Jakolof Bay was open back in the 80's my dad and I would drive over to the Rocky River and fish for silvers and monster dollies. I learned more about my dad on those trips than any other time in my life. I guess I was ready to listen...

Never been outside K-bay, but I've heard when the whether allows one to make it out, and back, the fishing is phenominal.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

My brother used to guide for Halibut out of Homer, on a few nice days later in the year they would swing in there and limit out on silvers... Kind of want to go check it out but that is a long trip out of Homer into the big water and waves area.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Martinez View Post
    I was checking out the charts and noticed some interesting structure at Rocky Bay, near Gore Pt. anyone been out there lately?
    I fished it a few years back with a friend. We spent a few nights over there anchored up in Picnic Harbor. Beautiful place to anchor up. You better pick good weather because there aint nowhere to hide except Picnic and if the wind direction is right, you are going to have a miserable time even in there. All those pinnacles produce insane ling territory. ptoblem is there are so many yelloweye, you can't keep fishing like you want.

We had a huge pod of orcas surround us that year. The smaller ones were jumping and completely clearing water. Got some good footage.
    Around Labor Day, the silvers are going up the river thick. They are massive silvers too and seem to bite at anything. That's the time of the year you have to watch the weather as the fall winds get switchy and unpredictable.

Default Anyone fished Rocky Bay out of Homer?

We didn't make it all the way out to Rocky Bay this weekend, but got within striking distance! Ended up getting our boat limit of halibut at Elizabeth Island. The seas were picking up pretty good out there, 6ft swell plus wind waves. Drift sock worked wonders for the conditions.

Sometime in July I think I'll head out and try for Rocky Bay again...gotta fish that crazy structure! I would love to have another boat join is for the trip too, so PM if you're interested.

Here's a photo of a couple of my passengers with our halibut haul. It was their first Alaska fishing experience, and the very first fishing experience ever for the 15yr old kid. I think I ruined him...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk