Thread: Circle hooks for kings

Default Circle hooks for kings

So I just got back from a long hiatus from Alaska. Circle hooks were just catching on for halibut when I left. Now it seem they are the ticket for reds. I haven't read through the threads to see if it has been addressed but have read the posts on them briefly. What about kings? That's what I'll be targeting shortly. Needing to buy all new gear would the change be worth it? We'll be doing catch and release only. Would that make a difference in hooks you use? Again my apologies if this has been covered before but I'm headed out shortly and need to go buy my gear. If I'm not keeping then but want a better chance of landing them is it worth the harm it might do to them?
    Life is tough........it's alot tougher if you're stupid.

Never tried them for kings, but they're outstanding with roe for silvers. I always use them with roe now because I don't get any deep-hooked fish. The hook is always in the corner of the mouth, and it's easy to catch and release when the fishing is good but you don't really want to quit.

Circle hooks work for "biter" halibut because of the manner in which they ingest the bait and swim away. Hookups are from the inside out on legitimately biting fish actively pursuing the anglers gear.

Circle hooks work for "non-biter" sockeye for entirely different reasons and thru a different mechanism. These fish are effectively being snagged in the mouth by drifting a length of monofilament (think single strand gillnet) past LARGE numbers of essentially non-biting fish that have no interest in pursuing the anglers gear. Circles excel at nearly eliminating the incidence of hooking these non-biting fish in locations elsewhere than the mouth. Bottom line, virtually all the fish hooked with circles are snagged thru the mouth while virtually none are snagged in locations elsewhere (back, belly tail)

Where recreational chinook fisheries have morphed into meat market flosseries, circle hooks will likewise excel at achieving similar results... efficiently snagging them thru the mouth while snagging virtually NONE in locations elsewhere.

Circles have a less clear role in fisheries intended to legitimately target biter chinook that willfully ingest the bait/hook. The anatomy of a chinook salmon's mouth is VERY different than that of a halibut.... as is their style/mechanism of "taking" the bait.

I've been personally experimenting with circle hook techniques that seamlessly blend these concepts.... tempting a willing biter to actually ingest the anglers offering WITHOUT ingesting the hook, yet still achieving a solid mouth hookup. My preliminary findings are very encouraging.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    The hook is always in the corner of the mouth, and it's easy to catch and release when the fishing is good but you don't really want to quit.
    The ease of release... with less mortality... is also what I find most appealing with circles.

In my neck-o-the-woods we live in a world of mark-selective fisheries designed to protect many depleted/threatened stocks of wild salmon. The almost universal expectation before an angler even leaves the dock is that he/she WILL be releasing a significant portion of the fish encountered.... by regulation.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Did try circles this past weekend in the valley with disappointing results 0/5 but first one was my bad I tried hook setting after hit and was what just happened. I looked at my hook and oh Ya I put circles on a few of my lures duh. I will try some more in future for better results😃
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

For bottom bouncing bait they are awesome, float fishing, not needed so much as you get much better reaction time, especailly if you have the floats set right. Can't remember last time I gut hooked a fish float fishing.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts