Thread: Blisters

Default Blisters

I thought I would share some info that may save some of you some pain and lost hunting time...
    I use Muck boots a lot here in IL and for short hikes they are fine, however on treks of 2 or more miles the heat builds up fast because of the loose fit and presto - blisters!
    I have tried a product runners use and had great success preventing hot spots and blisters. The one I am using is called Body Glide, comes in a deodorant style stick and simply rub it on areas that get rubbed, heels, small toes etc and it helps reduce friction. It is a product runners use to prevent blisters and so far it has worked unbelievably good for me! I am sure there are others so not just endorsing this one brand, but I am very happy with the results.
    I apply it, place on a light pair of merino wool socks and then add a heavy pair. So far after some 4 and 5 mile fast hikes not one blister and before I had to apply moleskins to help and even then I could end up with a blister.
    You might think it would feel greasy, but not the case in my experience...So hopefully this post may be of some help, I have had the same results even wearing regular boots. Very small and lightweight product addition to a remote trip...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I use muck boots too, Smokey. They are the Field Blazers. They form fit my foot much better than the other Muck boots. What style are you using?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Cod, I use the Wetland Model, 3 pairs - really like that boot for most of my treks. I also use the Green Superfeet inserts in them which really feel great! I just rec'd a pair of Meindl Perfekt 10's from Cabellas and boy did they feel good right outa the box! I went out and hiked 2 miles and no issues at all! I will be taking both on a fall moose hunt to Newfoundland and choose the better option once I get a feel for the terrain they deposit us in with a float plane...
    Muck boots are great if you don't push the pace too fast or too long with breaks - not the best ankle support for hillsides. I wore a pair of LaCrosse rubber boots on a moose hunt one time and they had a tight ankle and I figured great so they would not slip or pull off in the mud - which I was right - however at the end of the day it was darn near impossible to pull them off! I ended up putting small garbage bags over my socks and wearing them inside the boots to be able to remove them at the end of the day...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Green Superfeet and duct tape
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Go for short hikes and increase distance with each hike. Soak your feet every night in warm water and Epsom salts for 30 minutes and then put them in as cold as ice water as you can stand for 20 minutes. That will toughen your feet up over the next 3 weeks or longer to withstand any selection of boot you want to hike in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

I think the doubled socks are helping more than the BodyGlide. The inner pair sticks to your skin and all the friction is between it and the outer pair. I use thin polypro liners for the same result with less bulk.

I used to get blisters on every hunt. I have been doing as TimH for the last 4 years and not one blister.

Liner socks and good outer, wool socks can help a lot. If you find you're still getting hot spots, the best thing I've used is Leukotape-P.....the stuff is simply amazing and puts duct tape, moleskin...etc. to shame. Stid and other guys on here recommended this stuff and it's the real deal, worth every cent.

Leukotape, works better than duct tape.

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    I think the doubled socks are helping more than the BodyGlide. The inner pair sticks to your skin and all the friction is between it and the outer pair. I use thin polypro liners for the same result with less bulk.
    Tim I had a chance today to put that to a test. I wore the new Meindl boots and did a 4 mile fast hike with a light wool sock, new boots. At mile 3 I could feel hot heels but pushed on to mile 4. I ended up with a blister on left foot and red right heel. Then I applied the lube and put on a heavy wool sock and my Mucks and did another 1.25 miles at a good clip. I must say my blister did pop but was not painful at all and the other foot felt fine. Both lost almost all the redness and feel good.
    I am not in anyway endorsing this product, simply reporting my experience and at this time I think its a good addition to any hikers arsenal...

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I am not in anyway endorsing this product, simply reporting my experience and at this time I think its a good addition to any hikers arsenal...
    What works is good..

I really like the Leukotape a lot and try to save it for the trips I know are going to be long or remote. Rounding the edges seems to help a lot to prevent it from peeling. Just finished a 10.2 mile hike this AM and soaking feet in the Epsom salts, got a hot spot on the bottom front of foot behind toes that blistered, new spot for me! I shoulda taken a break but storm clouds were closing in on me!
    We have had rain, and lots of it, 16 outa 27 days this month. Major crop damage and flooding and skeeters and gnats on steroids! Makes hiking a challenge to find the motivation!

Tim I had a chance today to put that to a test. I wore the new Meindl boots and did a 4 mile fast hike with a light wool sock, new boots. At mile 3 I could feel hot heels but pushed on to mile 4. I ended up with a blister on left foot and red right heel. Then I applied the lube and put on a heavy wool sock and my Mucks and did another 1.25 miles at a good clip. I must say my blister did pop but was not painful at all and the other foot felt fine. Both lost almost all the redness and feel good.
    Smokey..... by what you've said here, either I am not understanding you or you didn't understand what Tim said......

You say you first wore a "light wool sock" with the new boots. Then you put on the lube and put on some heavy wool socks. Indicating to me that you still were only wearing one pair of socks each time. What Tim was suggesting was to actually wear 2 pairs of socks at one time..... a very thin (what I call liner) sock with a heavier sock over the top of them. Did you in fact wear two pairs of socks at a time and I'm just not understanding you?

For years now I too have worn two pairs of socks at a time.....either a very thin poly pro, or silk, liner and another type of heavier outer sock over them with great results. Can't remember the last time I've had blisters using this method.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Hi 4mer! I will try to clarify!
    I almost always wear a light liner wool sock and then a heavier wool sock combo depending on the boots and distance etc...
    I bought a new pair of Meindls (after reading your post and a cpl others ) and they seemed to fit real good with a light sock and figured a 4 mile hike would tell me a lot about the fit so only wore one sock. Then I changed boots at the 4 mile mark and put on a pair of Muck Boots and put on a single pair of heavy wool socks after applying the bodyglide to my heals. It was more of a test for this product I am not familiar with than anything else...
    I would not stop using Leukotape and two pair of wool socks as a standard but this product seems to have value and could come in handy on a trip. Not hard to run outa tape on a remote - especially if you feel sorry for unprepared friends in camp! Not sure what's in it but it does seem to have a bit of pain soothing effect...

Hi 4mer! I will try to clarify!
    I almost always wear a light liner wool sock and then a heavier wool sock combo depending on the boots and distance etc...
    I bought a new pair of Meindls (after reading your post and a cpl others ) and they seemed to fit real good with a light sock and figured a 4 mile hike would tell me a lot about the fit so only wore one sock. Then I changed boots at the 4 mile mark and put on a pair of Muck Boots and put on a single pair of heavy wool socks after applying the bodyglide to my heals. It was more of a test for this product I am not familiar with than anything else...
    I would not stop using Leukotape and two pair of wool socks as a standard but this product seems to have value and could come in handy on a trip. Not hard to run outa tape on a remote - especially if you feel sorry for unprepared friends in camp! Not sure what's in it but it does seem to have a bit of pain soothing effect...
    OK Smokey........now I understand. Now you just need to heal up and try your doubled up pair of socks with the new Meindls......they are good boots.

A few years ago I switched over to a pair of Kenetreks because STP was offering such a great deal on them, and so far so good. But recently I needed a pair of boots for work and wanted something that would last. I ended up buying a new pair of Asolo boots... http://www.sierratradingpost.com/aso...colorFamily=01 I can't say enough about these boots. I'm on their mailing list so they inform me via email of all their deals and I also bout them at a screamin' deal. These boots are a quality boot and would be a fantastic sheep hunting boot. Very rigid out of the box but have broke in nicely. Had I known about these boots before I bought the Kenetreks I probably wouldn't have bought them.

Anyway.......just wanted to put that out there for you or anybody else thinking about a new hunting boot.

Heal up well Smokey and good luck with the new Meindles.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Not much to add to all the good advice. I have been using the "two sock" method for several decades of mountain hunting several times a year and have yet to realize any blisters ... along with my Meindel's. I have purchased the "Glide" in the past but d/c'd use when I was unable to detect any benefit to me. Certainly can't hurt to use Glide under liner sock though, esp. if it seems to help. Good Luck
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    OK Smokey........now I understand. Now you just need to heal up and try your doubled up pair of socks with the new Meindls......they are good boots.

A few years ago I switched over to a pair of Kenetreks because STP was offering such a great deal on them, and so far so good. But recently I needed a pair of boots for work and wanted something that would last. I ended up buying a new pair of Asolo boots... http://www.sierratradingpost.com/aso...colorFamily=01 I can't say enough about these boots. I'm on their mailing list so they inform me via email of all their deals and I also bout them at a screamin' deal. These boots are a quality boot and would be a fantastic sheep hunting boot. Very rigid out of the box but have broke in nicely. Had I known about these boots before I bought the Kenetreks I probably wouldn't have bought them.

Anyway.......just wanted to put that out there for you or anybody else thinking about a new hunting boot.

Heal up well Smokey and good luck with the new Meindles.....
    Love the Meindls for sure. I was not wearing them today while hiking, since I was pushing for a 10 mile hike on flat ground I opted for a pair of broke in Rockys. Def not the boots fault I am tender footed tonight! The cork in the Meindls is very nice on the feet for sure!