Thread: Shore Fishing for Kings on the Kenai

Default Shore Fishing for Kings on the Kenai

I was wondering if it is possible to fish for Kings on the Kenai river, when and where it is legal, from the shore or do I absolutely need a boat?

Seen utube videos of Asian guys fly fishing kings. And catching and releasing
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

used to be able to but all the productive shore fishing areas are part of the closure. Pretty much need a boat now.

This EO - http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...n.NR&NRID=2052 - closed the Kenai River to King fishing this season. Has this EO been lifted or superseded?
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Quote Originally Posted by aces-n-eights View Post
    This EO - http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...n.NR&NRID=2052 - closed the Kenai River to King fishing this season. Has this EO been lifted or superseded?
    That EO expires June 30th. The new EO that came out today puts restrictions on the July 1 opener.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

HOT OFF THE PRESS!

June 25, 2015
    BAIT PROHIBITED IN THE KENAI RIVER SPORT FISHERY

The use of bait will be prohibited in the Kenai River from its mouth upstream to an Alaska Department of Fish and Game marker at the outlet of Skilak Lake from 12:01 a.m. on Wednesday, July 1 through 11:59 p.m., Friday, July 31.

Sport fish anglers may use only one unbaited, single-hook, artificial lure; multiple hooks are prohibited by regulation in the Kenai River. “Single hook” means a fish hook with only one point (with or without a barb).

The Kenai River late-run king salmon fishery opens July 1. Harvest will be allowed in a portion of the lower Kenai River from its mouth upstream to ADF&G regulatory markers located approximately 300 yards downstream from the mouth of Slikok Creek. Anglers are reminded that an emergency order issued Thursday, February 27, 2015 which closed a portion of the Kenai River Drainage to sport fishing for king salmon through July 31, 2015, remains in effect.

Sport fishing for king salmon, including catch and release fishing, is closed from ADF&G regulatory markers located approximately 300 yards downstream from the mouth of Slikok Creek, upstream to an ADF&G marker at the outlet of Skilak Lake. In this portion of the river, no king salmon of any size may be retained. King salmon may not be targeted and any king salmon caught incidentally while fishing for other species may not be removed from the water and must be released immediately.

Kenai River king salmon and other king salmon stocks are in a period of low productivity and have been below average run strength since 2009. That trend has continued during 2015. The 2015 preseason forecast for late-run Kenai River king salmon is for a total run of approximately 22,000 fish. This is less than one-half of the 1986–2014 average total run of approximately 57,000 fish and is insufficient to provide harvest in an unrestricted fishery without jeopardizing attainment of the sustainable escapement goal. Considering the small run forecast and direction provided in the management plan, prohibiting bait in the sport fishery is warranted.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by aces-n-eights View Post
    So in other words.......to keep the peace with all the guides, and businesses that cater to people that just HAVE to kill a "big" king.....EVEN though the run is still in the crapper, they're gonna let you kill the few kings we have left in the lower river........you just can't use bait.

What a freekin' crock......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    So in other words.......to keep the peace with all the guides, and businesses that cater to people that just HAVE to kill a "big" king.....EVEN though the run is still in the crapper, they're gonna let you kill the few kings we have left in the lower river........you just can't use bait.
    What a freekin' crock......
    "You must spread some rep around.." ...
    On the money, 4mer.
    They just can't help themselves.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    "You must spread some rep around.." ...
    On the money, 4mer.
    They just can't help themselves.
    So when you say "they" you mean just guides or do you mean sport anglers can't help themselves when adfg determines there is harvestable level of king salmon to be taken by rod and reel?

I guess in your world "they" the guides run adfg and issue eo's. Good luck with that theory.

Open it to C&R only, no removal from water. If you want meat catch some sockeye or go to the Kasilof and catch a hatchery fish.

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    Open it to C&R only, no removal from water. If you want meat catch some sockeye or go to the Kasilof and catch a hatchery fish.
    Shouldn't be open at all, I can't imagine there are more than a handful of 5/6 year fish left every year, sure would be sad for them to be killed off by bad c&R handling.

Quote Originally Posted by penguin View Post
    So when you say "they" you mean just guides or do you mean sport anglers can't help themselves when adfg determines there is harvestable level of king salmon to be taken by rod and reel?

I guess in your world "they" the guides run adfg and issue eo's. Good luck with that theory.
    Oh yeah cause the sport guys are equally as proficient as guides.......even given the fact there are more sport guys using the river then guides......when it comes to kings it is not even close. Reds and silvers yeah it might be closer, but still guys that run the river 5 days a week have an advantage over the other users and it shows.

But anyway the way I took it, they mean everyone who has a monetary incentive at stake here. However I don't believe every guide is in favor of this. They may participate but they may not favor it.