Thread: Drove Hatcher from the Willow side all the way to Palmer

Default Drove Hatcher from the Willow side all the way to Palmer

Yesterday ( 6-24 ), Sunny & was 77 in places,
    About 22 miles of the road is dirt, some shape rock sections, & a few place no cell Ph service.
    (Spare tube & tire repair stuff a good idea)
    Some steep stuff on the gravel might be tough, & spin out unless you have big tires.
    Hope to make it to the top from Palmer in the next few weeks to see if I can.
    May have to let some air out of the rear tire for traction going up the steep stuff.
    (Or walk/push some of it .... ....)

Was a little dusty, water truck ran out of water by the gold mine.
    Parachute folks were out there at the summit catching the evening wind.
    Several cars up from the Palmer side.
    Couple break downs (over heating from a blown hose & a flat tire)

It looks doable for a 29er, now to see if I can muster the energy to make it to the top.
    Been to the Gold Mint park (Palmer side) gets steeper from there.
    Even after the summit, there's some up & down hill stuff, but not as steep as the last
    3 miles before the summit from the Palmer side.

No bikes the day I drove it.

When you go up and over, I suggest doing it from Palmer to Willow. The downhill on the Palmer side in the gravel is too steep and wash boarded for most bikes to be in control and you lose all that wonderful elevation without enjoying it. You are in plenty good enough shape to make it to Willow right now. When you are climbing the gravel, letting some air out is a good idea, along with keeping your weight back over the rear. They recently graded it so some of that loose stuff should pack down after another week. Where the road looked wet (and well-packed) is from a salt solution they sprayed. It's been three years since I rode it, but if you can make it to the mint, just turn the corner and crank for a while. You'll be there before you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by BTK View Post
    When you go up and over, I suggest doing it from Palmer to Willow. The downhill on the Palmer side in the gravel is too steep and wash boarded for most bikes to be in control and you lose all that wonderful elevation without enjoying it. You are in plenty good enough shape to make it to Willow right now. When you are climbing the gravel, letting some air out is a good idea, along with keeping your weight back over the rear. They recently graded it so some of that loose stuff should pack down after another week. Where the road looked wet (and well-packed) is from a salt solution they sprayed. It's been three years since I rode it, but if you can make it to the mint, just turn the corner and crank for a while. You'll be there before you know it.
    Thanks for the motivation & good point about downhill on loose gravel.
    Will give it a go in a week or so.

Worst is I call road service & the wife comes & picks me up.
    I'll have to be near Willow for that, she won't drive the steep stuff with no guardrails.
    On the drive over, she got nervous when it was on her side, couldn't look down.
    If I can make Willow, may see how I feel & how far I can get down the Parks, its' mostly downhill to Wasilla.
    The loop would be my longest ride ever.