Thread: Volvo Penta 5.0 TBI trouble shooting help

Default Volvo Penta 5.0 TBI trouble shooting help

I recently purchased a 1999 22 Seasport with a VP 5.0 Volvo/GM. It is throttle body injected. The boat only has 330 hours total on it. It runs great normally, but when I start it on trailer while it is on a fairly steep incline (my driveway, boat launch,bow uphill) it runs extremely rough and rich, turning the plugs black and the exhaust water black with unburned fuel. Even after I put it back on level ground, and run it out, it still runs terrible. 24 hours later, it is good again. I would expect this from a carburated engine with floats and such, but not a TBI. This has happened three times so its not a fluke. Otherwise it runs great. Any help would be appreciated.

Just how steep is the incline saying it fairly steep does not tell us anything. Do you still have a problem if you back up the drive way? Are you sure it's gas not oil? Have you check all the sensor for loose connection. Is there any change in the spark when your having problems.
    Could you have something plugging the exhaust?
    Can you put a code reader on the engine to see it there an error code?

I know my suggestion are not the best, at least it a place to start.

MacGyver, thanks for the response. This also happened when I backed the boat into the water in Seward just enough to get the back half of the boat into the water to start it. That will give you an idea of the angle.Nothing crazy, but the bow is probably 2.5-3 feet higher than the stern. It is gas not oil. The plugs turn black and the engine misses horribly. Im no mechanic, but for 30years I have done all my own work on my boats and trucks, so Im not completely stupid Just enough to screw myself I guess! It totally bogs my mind. I ran to Montague for three days recently and everything is perfect with the motor. Thanks again for the response.

Does that engine have a closed cooling system? I suspect what's happening is that when your on an incline, your cooling fluid is not touching your engine temp sensor so the computer thinks its cold still. Check the resistance of your temp sensor while running flat cold and warm and then on incline cold and warm if you don't have a spec sheet for the sender.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundfisher View Post
    This also happened when I backed the boat into the water in Seward just enough to get the back half of the boat into the water to start it. That will give you an idea of the angle.Nothing crazy, but the bow is probably 2.5-3 feet higher than the stern. .
    You miss understood what I was asking. My fault not yours. I should have said if you back up the incline the stern will be higher than the bow. Another question is all the cylinders getting to much fuel or just a couple? Is the connector going into the EFI controller OK?