Thread: Seward Salmon sharks?

Default Seward Salmon sharks?

Have any of you seen/fished for Salmon Sharks out of Seward west?...like Aialik, Granite Is, Harris Bay areas!

Thanks

Dave
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Dave,

We were trolling for Silvers at Agnes around 6 years ago and hooked one. It was a riot for about 3 minutes until he bit the leader in two. Had him make several wild runs during that time. One time he came along side the boat at the surface eyeballing us. Kind of reminding me of the movie Jaws. He was about 5'-6'.

Randy

I've hooked a few in the bay as close as Thumb Cove. They can be anywhere any time but hard to target unless you can see them feeding..

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

OK, thanks for the info Randy and AK2AZ!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

So what do you do? Have a massive rod rigged up with 100lbs test and 20' steel leader on standby. Once you see them feeding how do you get them to bite? I can see if you use a pink salmon in the sound if caught in the sound, but how do you catch them in Seward?

A regular halibut rod with a good reel will work. The rest is just like you say jojo. I think that you can use commercial caught pinks also. If they are feeding it is not usually hard to get them to bite. Just throw the pink down with em and hold on!

Just a question about Bait can you use any COMMERCIAL caught FISH that is what I have been doing am I wrong an breaking the law ??
    do let me know
    PS some one told me you can use sport caught PINKS if you catch them in PWC am I wrong ?????
    SID

I am not sure on the regs. I would call F&G or the troopers to make sure. It has been over 10 years since we bonked a shark.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Great video!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    Just a question about Bait can you use any COMMERCIAL caught FISH that is what I have been doing am I wrong an breaking the law ??
    do let me know
    PS some one told me you can use sport caught PINKS if you catch them in PWC am I wrong ?????
    SID
    Commercial caught and bought, have reciept on board just in case you get hassled. However, are you really going to use store bought silvers, etc.... for bait?
    Sport caught pinks in pws also ok to use as bait. Know a few guides who fish for pinks then chase butt on same day with fresh bait in pws and claim its great bait.
    My .02c worth.
    Bk