Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which snowmachine to buy

Default which snowmachine to buy

Ive narrowed down my snowmachine choices to 3 which will serve as a utility sled for hunting, trapping, hauling firewood & pulling sled for ice fishing
    What would you all suggest any pros/cons ? I know this is like ford Chevy dodge but my 3 pics are
    Yamaha RS Viking
    Skidoo Skandic SWT 600
    Polaris Widetrack IQ
    Im going to purchase new as to avoid buying someone else's headache.

Most of us are brand loyal to some extent so you will get some biased opinions. These days most all makers put out a good product. Therefore alot depends on local dealers. Which one can you count on for parts and service? That varies alot depending on where you live. If you live truely in the bush it doesnt make as you are your own mechanic and there are good dealers of all flavors to order parts from. This is probably the best single piece of advice you will get. Other than if you are using it soley as a workhorse and push the seasons at all on both ends, get one with a fan cooled engind vs a liquid cooled. Ill leave my brand bias out of this.

There was a couple really good threads on this over the winter, you might check those out. I agree with the previous post on a fan engine for a work machine, many others will not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    There was a couple really good threads on this over the winter, you might check those out. I agree with the previous post on a fan engine for a work machine, many others will not!

Thats why I mentioned pushing the ends of the seasons. If minimal snow or sheet ice or hardpack the fan cooled sleds shine. They are also better when operating at very slow speeds. The liquids dont like that either. Myself im more of a play rider and run only liquids primarily. But I do have a 550 fan that gets used when the trip or conditions would just be too brutal on the liquid. I sure miss the hp of the liquid when I ride the fan, but it always gets the job done and comes home running strong. Different tool for different jobs. First step is to be totally honest with how and where you intend touse it. How long of distance? How big of climbs? Deep powder or packed trails? Bare ground at times? River runner in extreme cold on hard pack? How heavy of loads do you intend to tow? Heated storage available? The more details you can provide on the intended useage the better we can help to pick a sled.

I love my Skidoo Scandic. The thing is a hauling beast. You won't be disappointed imo.

2 stroke Bearcat
    Tim

I ran into this same debacle and decided to order the Ski Doo Expedition SE w/900ACE.

Not much help I suppose lol

Cmon winter!!!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

You guys will all laugh, but my wife's Indy lite 340 is the best early/late season hunting/trapping sled I've been on. It's so lite I can get it in and out of anywhere and it doesn't mind if half the ride is in grass/gravel/etc. barely uses any gas. Tows a trailer fine if you know how to tweak a clutch and keep it clean. Best f all no one will steal it, they are too barraged to have it in the back of their truck or on their trailer!

Limon my back up sled is my wifes 340 good little machines if you can still find one in good shape.
    I really love my Skidoo Expedition with the 600 ACE for al of the things you are wanting the beauty of the machine is it has both liquid and fan cooling and I have never had it overheat even when running on mostly ice or bare ground. I know it isn't one of your choice just telling you here is another option
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Quote Originally Posted by otterman View Post
    Limon my back up sled is my wifes 340 good little machines if you can still find one in good shape.
    I really love my Skidoo Expedition with the 600 ACE for al of the things you are wanting the beauty of the machine is it has both liquid and fan cooling and I have never had it overheat even when running on mostly ice or bare ground. I know it isn't one of your choice just telling you here is another option
    I also have the expedition sport 600 ACE and I love mine also.
    I have a 08 Tundra 550 fan and although I like the machine the expedition is my favorite. Quite,fuel efficient,plenty of power and torque.
    But it does need a battery to start it.
    I haven't ridden any of the sleds on your list so couldn't help there.
    I am a bit surprised you didn't add the Bearcat to your list. Several members here riding those for hunting,trapping,firewood hauling.
    But I will say I am brand loyal also and for me that would effect my decision. But I will leave that out of it.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Brand loyalty for sure! I own a 2006 RS Viking and love it. It is hands down the best utility sled I've ever owned. I have owned Polaris and Arctic Cats in the past. Yes the old IndyLite is hard to beat as a cheap ditchbanger. I used mine to teach my kids how to ride they were cheap and easy to fix with the added bonus that I didn't care if they kissed the trees.

The Viking however is the rock steady old dependable. It's built like a brick ****house and requires very little maintenance compared to the other brands I've owned or have experience with. It's only real problem is how heavy it is, but, on the other hand that is also a benefit. I can pull huge loads and never feel like the load is controlling the sled. It truly is the 1 ton diesel truck of the snowmachine world.

I couldn't bring myself to own a sled that had to have a battery to start, mostly because I'm forgetful! Your crazy Chris!

Default which snowmachine to buy

I couldn't bring myself to own a sled that had to have a battery to start, mostly because I'm forgetful! Your crazy Chris!

I love everything else about those expeditions!

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I love my Skidoo Scandic. The thing is a hauling beast. You won't be disappointed imo.
    Jack, ... What motor? I have the 800cc 4 stroke SWT and love it but saw a guy who has been running the 900 ace and he loves it! That might have to be my next machine.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

limon they are a keyless start so nothing to remember I have had no problem with mine cranking over at -30 fortunately I'm in SW so I do not leave the house much below -25 and have few days of that a year
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post

I love everything else about those expeditions!
    Like otterman said nothing to remember. There is no traditional key just the Dess key. Basically your safety tether has a chip in it.
    If the factory programmed chip doesn't match your sled it will not rev up.
    This is a great anti theft system especially for guys in the lower 48 where theft was a big problem.
    If you stole the machine you couldn't run it. Unlike the old sleds where you just pulled the wires off the back of the ignition and off you went with the sled.
    Most people keep a spare Dess on the sled somewhere.
    But mine has never had a battery issue where I couldn't start it while out riding. Nothing extra to turn off or forget that would leave you stranded.
    Mine actually shuts off after it warms up if you leave it running. That way it saves fuel and emissions are better.
    So if you start it to warm it up and get busy or whatever it automatically shuts down after 10 minutes or so.
    22 mpg's isn't bad either. I believe that is double that of my 550F with the same track length profile etc.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I had a skandic 550 wt. that thing was a real workhorse. I has inexperienced with snowmachines and couldn't use the sled to its full potential. It was a little topheavy (always wanted to tip when sidehilling at all) and was heavy to put back on its bottom. the thing turned like an aircraft carrier but could pull any load you put behind it. to be honest all the issues where probably user error and a better rider probably would not have had the issues. I traded it in for a tundra this spring so ill see if that does me any better.

Quote Originally Posted by msaerls View Post
    I had a skandic 550 wt. that thing was a real workhorse. I has inexperienced with snowmachines and couldn't use the sled to its full potential. It was a little topheavy (always wanted to tip when sidehilling at all) and was heavy to put back on its bottom. the thing turned like an aircraft carrier but could pull any load you put behind it. to be honest all the issues where probably user error and a better rider probably would not have had the issues. I traded it in for a tundra this spring so ill see if that does me any better.
    Be interesting to see what you think of that Tundra, primary complaint I've heard is how tippy they are, from good riders too.

This past year I bought a brand new 2015 ski doo tundra extreme. I love the sled. That being said I missed my fan cooled 550 that I sold earlier in the year. I wanted one sled I could use for riding/playing and also for trapping and ice fishing and it met booth needs flawlessly. The only thing I would so different is not buy new one. The off the floor price is insane. As the winter went on with poor snow conditions I could have bought 2 really nice used sleds for each purpose for what I paid for mine. I suggest go with something used.

Quote Originally Posted by MNnowAK View Post
    This past year I bought a brand new 2015 ski doo tundra extreme. I love the sled. That being said I missed my fan cooled 550 that I sold earlier in the year. I wanted one sled I could use for riding/playing and also for trapping and ice fishing and it met booth needs flawlessly. The only thing I would so different is not buy new one. The off the floor price is insane. As the winter went on with poor snow conditions I could have bought 2 really nice used sleds for each purpose for what I paid for mine. I suggest go with something used.
    Hey MN, I'm interested to know if you have any feedback about the performance differences between the 2-stroke 600 vs the 4-stroke 600? The Extreme and the regular Tundra LT are relatively similar machines, do you have any guidance or insights between the two now that you have one? Anything you don't like about you '15 Extreme?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast