Thread: Thoughts on 110gr TTSX for Sheep?

Default Thoughts on 110gr TTSX for Sheep?

I'll be packing my 270WSM and build a great110gr TTSX load that's shooting cloverleaf groups at 3530fps. This would give me a steady hold out to 400 yard and a 10" drop at 450, still traveling at 2650fps. I know I'll get the " you need a heavier round" comment but I'll have sidearm as well. This 110 TTSX load is right in line with a 25-06 and 257, both very popular sheep rounds. I've considered wind but I rarely shoot beyond 300 yards. I have spoken with people who have taken elk, hogs, and deer at 500+ with this round and I feel very confident in it's abilities. Any thoughts or advice?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would sheep hunt with it. Would not be my first choice for bears in sheep country but I would not hesitate to go look for a Ram with a rig that shoots like that.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks Stid, I value your opinion. I will continue to work on a 140gr Accubond load and 130gr E-tips but I haven't been able to get them dialed in nearly as accurate as the 110TTSX.

Have you tried 150gr partitions? I load and shoot them out of my .270wsm with great accuracy
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Heck, use the 110s for sheep and throw a magazine full of 150s in the pack for packing meat out.

270WSM is a seriously underrated round.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

That bullet will do just fine.....a good choice as sheep are not all that tough to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Heck, use the 110s for sheep and throw a magazine full of 150s in the pack for packing meat out.

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Do it. I'm taking 120grn TTSX's out of a 7mm-08 at 3000 fps +/-, which I just built this year. As some added info, I've cleanly taken several black bears with 100grn TSX's out of a 257WBY at 3600fps...one was a 7 footer and one was at 400 yards. That said, as we all know black bears are a different story than grizzlies, which I've shot with a 375H&H (270grn TSX's).

I've not yet taken a ram...been on them, but can't get them to grow that last 1/8th of a curl...maybe this year with my daughter. Good luck to you.

I bet the sheep will die, looks like they shoot well. Why not shoot 150's or 140's though? I have some loads for 150 nosler ballistic silvertip and 160 noslers partitions that work well if you want the info, every guns different though

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post

Yup, done that many times, light loads for sheep that shoot good and a few heavy "bear loads' for walking in the low country, in the tent at night, and packing out sheep meat!....but then you will see a nice black wolf standing out there at 400 yds then you have the heavy loads in and will be scrabbling to get them light good shooting loads in your gun.....grin
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Great advice ya'll. I'll keep working on that 140gr Accubond load and see if I can dial it in. I think I need to tighten up the COAL on my 130gr Etips and that could be a sweet load, just got to find time.

My THOUGHTS........??????? I wish I could shoot that good. Hell, I can't shoot that good at 25 yards.......

Quote Originally Posted by morgan View Post
    Any thoughts or advice?

Sounds like you've got a good load developed, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!