Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone dipnet Kasilof yet?

Default Anyone dipnet Kasilof yet?

I'm pretty sure I'll be out on the south shore this weekend. Just wanting to know if people are doing well.
    www.surfishingalaska.com (Work in Progress)

Not even open yet?...

It opened today at midnight.6/25/2015
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Looks like they might let commercial setnetters in again Saturday AM.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap.../549457437.pdf

I went down last nite before it opened to scout it out. Not too many folks at about 6 pm last nite. I did not stay for the mid nite opener. I went back down late this aftrnn again and talked to a couple groups who had fished. Very poor fishing last nite and today. Three guys said they all fished for about 4 hours and only had 6 fish to show for it. Another group had about the same results. They said that it was slow for all.
    While I was there this eve I saw 6 folks in the water for about an hour (at low tide) and only saw two fish taken.
    Heard rumor the commercial boys were supposed to come out of the water at 7 tonite. If true, that should help.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

So from the above link posted above (that I just browsed).....
    quote...

All areas and gear types, other than the Kenai and East Foreland Sections set gillnet fishery, willfish the regularly scheduled fishing period on Thursday, June 25, 2015, from 7:00 a.m. until 7:00p.m.
    The commercial set gillnet fishery in the Kasilof Section of the Upper Subdistrict will be closed fora 36-hour period from 7:00 p.m. Thursday, June 25, 2015 until 7:00 a.m. Saturday, June 27, 2015,as required in the Kasilof River Salmon Management Plan (5 AAC 21.365(c)(1)(B)). The earliestthe set gillnet fishery in the Kasilof Section could fish again is 7:00 a.m. on Saturday, June 27. UNQOUTE.

So thanks for that info!

Quote Originally Posted by JimFly View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'll be out on the south shore this weekend. Just wanting to know if people are doing well.
    Three of us were there for the opening bell...NOT HOT at the Kasilof on the opener. We got 4...12 hours. Most got ZERO. Hopefully the weekend perks up for the dippers.

Quote Originally Posted by akfisheye View Post
    ... Hopefully the weekend perks up for the dippers.
    Historical perspective:

I'm leaving after work today. I'll report when I get back.......
    www.surfishingalaska.com (Work in Progress)

While the daily run count and hence dippers catch rate may be low it doesn't surprise me.
    If I remember correctly most years start out this way.
    Just like the Kenai often starts out slow.
    That's why I have never dipped the opener for either river. Then again I live locally and can often find time during the peak of the run to get into them enough to fill my freezer as much as is needed.

Just got back from there. Very poor fishing still. A few folks managing maybe 5-6 fish in as many hours. Many (most?) getting skunked or 1-2.
    I saw more caught on out going tide than incoming. Too early yet in my opinion.

Headed down from the Valley tomorrow morning, has Kasilof done better today? Local advice on where to dip would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Local advice on where to dip would be much appreciated.
    Repost:

Please study the enclosed picture of the mouth of the Kasilof.

The salmon come in with the incoming tide. They follow the river channel until the mouth is flooded and can be caught off of both shores as well as all across the middle with important distinctions.

Initially, folks with start picking them up way out the south shore at the beginning of the channel. They tend to then follow the northern edge of the channel as they move up towards the point, although significant numbers still allow for good catches on the south shore.

As the tide continues to flood, the bulk of the fish are swept past the mouth, and they turn and swim south along the beach towards the point. This is when you will see folks catching fish north of the point along the beach, and kids catching fish behind the adults standing up to their chests up at the point.

The south shore offers much more camping room, and a nicer, gravelly bottom to stand on. People are able to back up their rigs and launch boats off the south beach. You can do just fine on the south beach, but the bulk of the fish follow the northern river channel and the northern beach on their way to the river.

The north shore has much more muck. I have personally fished the north edge of the river channel all the way out to the second can and worked up with the incoming tide. It is treacherous, and an easy way to die.

With the flooding tide, the muck flats quickly disappear under water. You can find yourself a long way from the beach in a short time.

You will see the most inefficient fishing imaginable at the north shore. People will slog way offshore, catch a fish, and drag it all the way back to the beach in order to get it out of their net. In the meantime, more fish are going by and, invariably, someone moves in to take their place. Stay in place, remove the fish from your net, and put it in a web bag. They will fall off a stringer as their jaws get pretty soft after a while.

Upriver on the north bank beyond the point, many people do fine in the little cove there. As the tide goes out, though, you've got the muck to contend with.

My preferred method is to use a 12' skiff with a 6hp kicker. It's small enough to throw it in all by yourself, and it allows you to find where the bunches of fish are and leapfrog your way as they move towards the point. With a boat, you can always have your net basket in the right direction whether the tide is flowing or ebbing. Slack time is also fishable, once you find where they are laying, waiting for the water to move.

As far as noise goes, both shores of the Kasilof are pretty noisy at night with ATV's and fireworks and all.

I prefer the north shore for camping. Get there early though, as space is limited.

Please don't get your truck stuck on the beach below high water line.

~tr

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    Stay in place, remove the fish from your net, and put it in a web bag. They will fall off a stringer as their jaws get pretty soft after a while.
    Side note on stringers: a friend of mine was fishing next to a guy at the Kasilof with his fish on a stringer, when all of a sudden...WHAM!!...a seal came up and grabbed his whole stringer and ran off with it. Just about took the man with him.

Thanks much for the solid advice, really appreciated. What would the projection be for dipping thru Tues night ? as the commercial is open on Mon I think we stand a good chance? Seems like our timing might be good

Couldn't comment on the dipping but we drifted the upper Kasilof today for a few hours.
    4 anglers and 3 legal reds landed. Hooked a few more but didn't land them.
    Also hooked a bunch of dollies though we were not targeting them.
    Sounds like my rod and reel may have done as well as a dipnet right now.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    Side note on stringers: a friend of mine was fishing next to a guy at the Kasilof with his fish on a stringer, when all of a sudden...WHAM!!...a seal came up and grabbed his whole stringer and ran off with it. Just about took the man with him.
    I also heard that story last year, maybe from your friend, and was warned not to use that net bag. Mine had a quick release on it just as a precaution and in this case I would think it quite handy, just keep in mind if you use one to know where it is and how to activate it -- FAST. Just not seeing a seal doesn't mean one could not be there and they can be bold.

Also, please remember, PACK IT IN, PACK IT OUT.

56 on the North side since we arrived yesterday pm. I like Kasilof, very nice to camp here.

can someone tell me what the camping situation is on the north side this year? are they allowing camping on the beach side or is it still the cannery side of the road. just curios. hope everyone has good luck this year. and please stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    56 on the North side since we arrived yesterday pm. I like Kasilof, very nice to camp here.
    How many people? And were you dipping from shore or in boat?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast