Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to learn a new river (Kink)

Default Looking to learn a new river (Kink)

Anybody willing to show me the ropes on the Knik? I've got Sunday, Tues. & Wed. this week and Sun., Mon. & Tues next week. I would to go at least to Friday Creek, but I wouldn't mind going all the way to the lake. I'm not looking to get hard core and find the skinny water. I'll save that for another time. If you're game, send me a PM. Thanks a bunch.

What kind of boat are you running?

SeaArk Predator 22', 200hp

Next to an airboat, you've got the perfect setup to get there.. Easily...

I have the same Seaark and would like to run it also with someone. I am open Saturday and Sunday this week If anyone is going

I remember you posting back in March 357ultramag. Have you been on the Kink yet? My main hold up is the launch. I see it from the road sometimes and it looks like you really need to know the route to the channel. I'm in for Sunday. I have to learn that river rather any one wants to help or not. I do well at ready water, but it would be nice to have another boat just in case one get stuck. Let me know and we'll get up there.

The launch is located right in the channel. From there heading up river, the river crosses to the right bank as it nears the railroad tracks. It's deep enough now that it's pretty hard to screw up. After the railroad tracks, going right will get you stuck, and about 1/2 mile up, going left with the majority of the water will take you up the Matanuska. If you go up the middle, it's pretty straight forward from there up.

Honestly, I was scared to death to do it, but after spending some valuable time on the sandbars this spring during low water, I learned the channel pretty well. Running during low water conditions will provide invaluable information for running later in the year. If I wasn't so busy I'd offer to show you the ropes, but I think you'd get tired of running behind the mini boat as it runs about 29mph tops, going down river. But it runs REEEEL skinny... My big boat is still waiting on cutless sleeves...
    ~Alaska born and raised~ •'04 Duckworth, 5.7 w/ 3-stg. •High side Lowe, '13 Yami 25 prop+Merc 40/30 jet
    •Ranger 6x •CAT atv w/ 27" rubber •A very large moose buggy •M7 153" "Earned, NOT given"

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-DAG View Post
    I remember you posting back in March 357ultramag. Have you been on the Kink yet? My main hold up is the launch. I see it from the road sometimes and it looks like you really need to know the route to the channel. I'm in for Sunday. I have to learn that river rather any one wants to help or not. I do well at ready water, but it would be nice to have another boat just in case one get stuck. Let me know and we'll get up there.
    I have not been up there yet but want to go. I will report back tomorrow on Sunday as right now I would be solo and want to bring a couple people for sand bar help if needed

LoL,,, I had the same thought. That's why I'd like to go Sunday. He's a weekend worrier. I'm looking forward to getting up there.

Thanks for the info boondockinak.

I guess I should clarify, after the railroad tracks, stay on the right in the channel, but do not take a right at the split. This split to the right will take you up to the tailrace, and unless you've run this river allot, you're asking to spend some time on the bar. The tailrace runs out of water, very quickly....
    ~Alaska born and raised~ •'04 Duckworth, 5.7 w/ 3-stg. •High side Lowe, '13 Yami 25 prop+Merc 40/30 jet
    •Ranger 6x •CAT atv w/ 27" rubber •A very large moose buggy •M7 153" "Earned, NOT given"

I have been up to the glacier a handful of times. Made one trip this spring while the water was low and gps tracked the channel. After going back with the water much higher I honestly think it's easier shallow. If you have run any other rivers and can read water it's not that bad really. I might go out Sunday. The launch looks worse than it is best spot is near the rock farthest from the bridge.

Let me know what time you guys want to be there. I'm in Portage, so its about an hour and half to 2 hours drive, depending on traffic and/or construction. I'm an early bird (not by choice) so any time is good for me.

Just got back from an overnight at the glacier. The lower River, between the 2 bridges is a piece of cake. The middle channel is probably the easiest route if your launching from the new bridge, as it is the most direct route up to the old bridge. Launching at the old bridge is great too. Just enter through the gate on the upriver side and drive across the short stretch of water at the airboat pond as you parallel Bodenburg Creek, most people launch by the tree (you'll see what I mean.) Once you get upriver by the Jim Creek area the river is pretty blown out with the high water. The main channel is pretty tough to find right now if you've never been up there but with your Predator I'm sure you'll be fine. We took the airboat up and had fun in the new shallow braids all this high water has caused. Have fun!

I'm thinking I'll be there around 9 tomorrow (Sunday). If you want to later let me know.

I'm planning to go. I can be there around 9-930. Might just be me and the dog so it would be nice to run with another boat.

Guys, I just got home and it's 1am. I am probably going to have to sit this one out. I didn't find anyone to go with and both my boys are out of state until next weekend. I am going to send a text to a few right now and see if they are up for it.

My cell is 907-202-1446 if me and the predator aren't there by 9:30 I won't make it. Shoot me a text if you like.

Revised plan we are meeting 10-1030 at the launch. More the merrier if someone gets stuck we all help.

Guys I will see you there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you guys have any runs planned this weekend?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast