Thread: Reloder 12 --- What's it Good For?

Default Reloder 12 --- What's it Good For?

Hey folks,

I recently acquired a nice stash of older powders from someone getting out of handloading. One powder in the bunch has been discontinued --- Reloder 12. The canister is yellow and was made by Hercules. Alliant now produces the Reloder 10x and Reloder 15 powders, but not Reloder 12.

Has anybody used this rifle powder? What's it really good for? I'm looking to put it to good use, so any suggestions would be great.

Reloader 12 is very similar in burn rate to H4895, in other words it is a medium speed powder useful in quite a few cartridges. As the numbers suggest, it is about half way between RL10 and RL15 for burn rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    Hey folks,

I recently acquired a nice stash of older powders from someone getting out of handloading. One powder in the bunch has been discontinued --- Reloder 12. The canister is yellow and was made by Hercules. Alliant now produces the Reloder 10x and Reloder 15 powders, but not Reloder 12.

Has anybody used this rifle powder? What's it really good for? I'm looking to put it to good use, so any suggestions would be great.
    I've used many, many pounds of it in a couple different 30/30 rifles and found it produced exceptional velocity with excellent accuracy. I've used more in the .222 Remington with similar results. It was a very good powder in those applications and I was sorry to see it discontinued.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll give RL12 a try with some .223 Rem reloads. Maybe some lighter bullet .308 loads also.

Let us know how that works out for you.