Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wild West Guns

Default Wild West Guns

I was pricing a Colt pistol today at the local gun shops and big chains - Cabelas, Bass Pro and Sportsman's Warehouse. The MSRP was $899. Most locals and the big stores wanted from $859 to $879. Wild West Guns had the same pistol for $1099. I asked the salesperson if they had the price right considering the MSRP which I showed him on my smartphone and Colt's website. He was disinterested and claimed that that was the price they paid because it costs more to have guns shipped it to Alaska and that he had heard that some could sell for a bit less but was totally indifferent and unwilling to debate their "Alaska Markup". I said that I could show him pictures of the price tags from local gun shops as well as the big chain stores, but he smiled and said that was their price. I asked to speak to Jim West and was told that was the price and that Jim west would not come off it, but would autograph a hat or something.

These guys are ripoff artists that do not deserve the business of Alaskans.

Wow, you just found this out?
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

I LOVE it when a customer comes in and tells me "I can buy it for such and such at Walmart" Then go shop at Walmart, and when I go out of business, you can go to Walmart and hang out and look at all their cool guns and such.
    I DON'T CARE what the other guy is selling it for. Period.

Here, we get "Well Bass Pro has it for" OK, Then go to Bass Pro and buy it, and if there's a problem, take it back to Bass Pro, Oh wait, you can't do that can you????
    True Story, Guy buys a Marlin 336, NIB, takes it to the Parking Lot and takes it out of the box, Action is LOCKED up, takes it back into Bass Pro ALL SALES ARE FINAL on firearms, Brings it to me, I'm supposed to fix his gun right now for free!!!!! I said leave it here, it'll be a couple of weeks, and he got irritated, I said OK, I can move it to the front of the line, rush job but it'll cost you more, then he couldn't believe I'd actually charge to fix his gun, that he bought at Bass Pro. I said, that's what you get when you buy at Bass Pro, or Walmart, etc.....

Now, walk in with cash and say "Will you take this much fo rit?" Different story.

Quote Originally Posted by DoughNut View Post
    I LOVE it when a customer comes in and tells me "I can buy it for such and such at Walmart" Then go shop at Walmart, and when I go out of business, you can go to Walmart and hang out and look at all their cool guns and such.
    I DON'T CARE what the other guy is selling it for. Period.

Here, we get "Well Bass Pro has it for" OK, Then go to Bass Pro and buy it, and if there's a problem, take it back to Bass Pro, Oh wait, you can't do that can you????
    True Story, Guy buys a Marlin 336, NIB, takes it to the Parking Lot and takes it out of the box, Action is LOCKED up, takes it back into Bass Pro ALL SALES ARE FINAL on firearms, Brings it to me, I'm supposed to fix his gun right now for free!!!!! I said leave it here, it'll be a couple of weeks, and he got irritated, I said OK, I can move it to the front of the line, rush job but it'll cost you more, then he couldn't believe I'd actually charge to fix his gun, that he bought at Bass Pro. I said, that's what you get when you buy at Bass Pro, or Walmart, etc.....

Now, walk in with cash and say "Will you take this much fo rit?" Different story.
    Perfect answer. Go buy it cheaper if you can find it. But don't ask the small local shop to fix it quickly or for free. That's reserved for the folks that buy there. Sure it costs more from a local, but you get what you pay for. They also have to hire professional employees and pay them a living wage. Most guys behind the counter in the big box stores last worked the counter at McDonalds, and they know as much about guns as McDonalds knows about guns.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Perfect answer. Go buy it cheaper if you can find it. But don't ask the small local shop to fix it quickly or for free. That's reserved for the folks that buy there. Sure it costs more from a local, but you get what you pay for. They also have to hire professional employees and pay them a living wage. Most guys behind the counter in the big box stores last worked the counter at McDonalds, and they know as much about guns as McDonalds knows about guns.
    I have a minor issue with that bolded sentence. Paying more for the same thing isn't really getting more for the money as it pertains to a brand new firearm. If a firearm is defective from the manufacturer, it's not incumbent on anyone to "fix" it for free but the manufacturer. Of course box stores aren't going to fix it for free either. Once a firearm is transferred to you, it's not as easy to deal with "swapping it out" for a different one as it would be for a TV or lawn mower. In the above story, the customer was wrong to even think he should take it to a gunsmith to fix it. It needs to be dealt with by the manufacturer. Not trying to disparage the gunsmith because he's probably top notch, but if you take a brand new firearm to a smith before sending it to the manufacturer you're an idiot and could void whatever warranty you may have had anyway. To me that story is less about big box vs local gun store and more about an idiot who doesn't understand retail sales.

Well I bought a gun about a year ago for about $900 from Sportsmans. Not for any other reason than they were the only ones that had it in stock. I looked that thing over for a long time trying to find anything wrong with it and couldn't find anything. Got it home and did some shooting and realized it had a big flaw that couldn't be seen. Took it back to Sportsmans and they said sorry, all firearm sales are final. It has been at Remington since then. I don't like Wild west Guns and I surely don't like the staff, the owner or their attitudes when I have gone in but I'd bet they would have fixed the problem ASAP and I wouldn't be in the crappy situation I am in now.

Sometimes a gunsmith will fix a new gun under warranty at "no charge" to the customer because he's a warranty service provider to the manufacturer. He simply bills the manufacturer for the work under an established agreement. WWG is a warranty shop for several makers.

But no retail shop, big or small, has any requirement to fix a firearm on the spot or at no charge. Even some of the warranty providers will just box them up and send them back if it's something they can't or won't fix.

For that matter- most retail shops don't even have a gunsmith on staff.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I still happily pay more for knowledgeable staff, service, and a local business that stands behind its products. I also support businesses that pay their folks more than minimum wage, even if they charge more. Your money. Spend it where you want. And decide what risks you want to take. But live with them when things don't go right.

I still happily pay more for knowledgeable staff, service, and a local business that stands behind its products. I also support businesses that pay their folks more than minimum wage, even if they charge more. Your money. Spend it where you want. And decide what risks you want to take. But live with them when things don't go right.
    I'm not knocking local shopping. Just saying you don't always get more service for more money. I've been to LGS's where the same thing was said regarding firearm defects, gunsmith in house or not. It's less about big vs little and more about where you trust to spend your dollars. Most local shops are more than willing to go above and beyond. Not all are. In either case, the end user should contact the manufacturer to ensure that the warranty process is covered properly. Even if it's done by your buddy Carl who is a licensed warranty shop for Ruger, you contact Ruger to be sure the paperwork is covered. If not, Ruger can say you had work done without authorization and your warranty is void even if Carl the best warranty smith in the world does the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    ...more about where you trust to spend your dollars. Most local shops are more than willing to go above and beyond. Not all are.
    And there lies the difference. None of the big boxes will help you out when things go wrong. Most of the small shops will in one way or another. The ones who don't won't be in business long if they don't offer service in the face of the big boxes. Word spreads that they're poor servers, and they'll never win the price battle with the big boxes. Adios and good riddance to them.

And there lies the difference. None of the big boxes will help you out when things go wrong. Most of the small shops will in one way or another. The ones who don't won't be in business long if they don't offer service in the face of the big boxes. Word spreads that they're poor servers, and they'll never win the price battle with the big boxes. Adios and good riddance to them.
    We'd like to think that happens, but in reality it doesn't always. Personally, I don't mind buying where I get the best deal. I can do my own "fixing" if something needs it, so big box stuff doesn't scare me. Then again, I support local shops also where it benefits me.

Ok guys, Chimos in Wasilla and New Gun Traders in Anchorage had the same pistol for $869 and $879 and I would hardly put the in the same class as Walmart or Bass Pro.

Bottom line is Wild West is a ripoff.

Oh. I also talked with VF Grace rep and they charge their customers considerably less than MSRP, the amount depending on the gun and the demand for that gun. The rep also said they never charge more than MSRP. I don't know where Wild West gets their inventory, but I doubt they purposely look for a wholesaler that charges them more than the pistol is worth.

Suggest you try Mountain View Sports, Dan, is now the manager of the Firearms Dept. and he is retired from 70 years employee of VF GRACE.

Quote Originally Posted by gdkodiak View Post
    Oh. I also talked with VF Grace rep and they charge their customers considerably less than MSRP, the amount depending on the gun and the demand for that gun. The rep also said they never charge more than MSRP. I don't know where Wild West gets their inventory, but I doubt they purposely look for a wholesaler that charges them more than the pistol is worth.

I agree completely. Doesn't matter if it is vehicles, guns, fishing equipment, chainsaws, etc- knowledgeable staff and customer service are important to me. I won't say anything negative about WWG other than I didn't care for the attitude when I went there. However I sure would not hesitate to have a gun worked on by their smiths.

That's an awfully broad statement! I know for a fact that the SW will either ship the gun back on their dime to get it fixed or refund your money.

Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    That's an awfully broad statement! I know for a fact that the SW will either ship the gun back on their dime to get it fixed or refund your money.
    Actually, depends,,,,, Not ALWAYS,
    YES, the amnufacturers are standing behind their products, absolutely and , in my experience: Taurus is the absolute best BUT you still have to ship the gun back, etc, and legally (according to their regulations) to ship through Post Office requires a FFL and UPS and FedEx usually ask to see mine. I know it's not required, it's company policy. Still the point is: We'll do whatever needs to be done to have a happy customer (OK, Not WHATEVER, but within reaso!!) SO if the gun is going back to the manufacturer, we'll handle everything.

OP: If you think a company is a rip off then don't shop there.

I normally have decided what I want long before I go to a store. I then go where I find what I want at the best price I can find. If something should go wrong I fix it myself whether it be gun, car, motorcycle, fishing gear or kitchen appliance. It's a rare counter person at any gun store that can answer questions I have about guns. I will not comment on WW Guns other than to say I do not shop there. Stores can charge what ever they want and treat customers however they want. I can spend my money where ever I want. Seems fair to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Stores can charge what ever they want and treat customers however they want. I can spend my money where ever I want. Seems fair to me.
    This is a responsible answer.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

They got to pay off some of those hefty fines to the State of Alaska some how.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast